Three charged with stealing food from skip behind Iceland supermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Crown Prosecution Service claims there is 'significant public interest' in prosecuting men arrested for taking discarded food.

A man will stand trial next month after being caught taking some tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese from the dustbins behind a branch of Iceland.

It is expected Paul May, a freelance web designer, will argue that he was taking the food because he needed it to eat and does not consider he has done anything illegal or dishonest in removing food destined for landfill from a skip.

The case will require magistrates to scrutinise the phenomenon of "skipping" ? taking discarded supermarket waste to cook and eat, and will highlight the issue of how much supermarket food is discarded, despite long campaigns to reduce the waste. It will also focus attention on a group of people taking radical steps to feed themselves as they struggle with the rising cost of living in London.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/28/three-charged-vagrancy-act-food-skip-iceland

I've also heard the term "freeganism" in the context of taking discarded food from bins. Perhaps climbing over a wall could be considered differently, but it doesn't sound like breaking and entering, and trespassing is usually a civil tort, rather than criminal offence. Relying on Vagrancy Act 1824 (that means it was signed by George IV, the king before William IV, before Victoria, 190 years ago!) sounds like someone in CPS wanted to prove their knowledge of legal history, rather than reflect justice in the modern world.

Prosecutors drop case against men caught taking food from Iceland bins

The Crown Prosecution Service has decided to drop its case against three men caught taking food from bins outside an Iceland store.

Although the CPS had previously said there was "significant public interest" in prosecuting the three men caught last year taking tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese and Mr Kipling cakes from the dustbins behind a branch of Iceland, they reversed their decision in the wake of huge public outcry about the case.

Baljit Ubhey, the chief crown prosecutor for CPS London, said: "This case has been reviewed by a senior lawyer and it has been decided that a prosecution is not required in the public interest."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/29/prosecutors-drop-case-men-food-iceland-bins

:D

And there was me thinking that they were going to be deported to Australia in chains.😉

Good decision by CPS.

I like to think that they'd have been found not guilty if case had reached magistrates' court or been brought before a jury.

I cant see this going too far........

Its not an actual offence is it......

Its rubbish.....

Its the best way of going "green" stuff out of skips bins etc put to some use. Iceland have to pay to get bins emptied like other companies. Coudnt fancy the stuff mind 😱😱

I thought technically once you put it in the bin it belongs to the council and this is what makes it theft. You have to get a license to remove stuff from council tips. But like the court decided it's not in the public interest to prosecute. There have been tv documentary's on eating out of date food and raiding waste bins.
Occurs to me that this sort of behavior is putting yourself at risk of food poisoning from cross contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back