Thousands of 'well-dressed' women dying from strokes -doctors think they look healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thousands of women are dying from strokes, as doctors miss heart failure symptoms because they are too well groomed and look healthier than they actually are, claims new French research.

Dr Pierre Sabouret, the project?s lead researcher and cardiologist from Heart Institute-Pitie Salpetriere Hospital in Paris, said that GPs and cardiologists were frequently overlooking, or sometimes slow to diagnose, the most common form of abnormal cardiac rhythm in women, increasing the patient?s risk of heart attack and death.

?Too often [doctors] will think if a female patient looks healthy, and dresses smartly, and looks after herself, she is probably okay,? he said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-doctors-think-they-look-healthy-8797055.html

I thought doctors had got over that misconception by now. I remember telling mine I wanted to lose weight - I'd crept up to over 11 st and was miserable as sin.

The idiot said, 'Oh - you don't look overweight to me' - and I replied 'Good - because I can assure you I spend an awful lot of time, effort and money searching for clothes that give that impression - and now I'm sick of it !'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back