Thousands of Summary Care Records created without consent in NHS IT blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Exclusive: ?Human error? was to blame for an NHS IT blunder which saw Summary Care Records created for thousands of patients without them being given an opportunity to opt out, a Department of Health investigation has concluded.

Some 4,201 patients had records created without their knowledge after a GP practice was incorrectly identified for a Summary Care Record upload ? and they will not be allowed to have them deleted.

The Department of Health has so far declined to identify the practice or patients involved, or say whether the patients have been informed of the mistake.

Pulse first revealed in November that the DH was investigating a mistake in the Summary Care Record rollout. Although Summary Care Records are created under implied rather than explicit consent, patients are supposed to be sent a Patient Information Programme (PIP) mailing which contains an opt-out form at least 12 weeks before care records are created.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/20001373.article

(free registration required)

I had one of those cards back in December. Told them point blank I did not trust their system or it's security, thus my answer was no.
I also pointed out that sending me an unsealed letter with all my personal details on it was not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back