Thoughts on Care after diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennsie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning everyone- I was diagnosed with Type 2 last year - not a shock as massively overweight - but still a kick in the preverbals.

I don’t know if it’s the pandemic messing - or what - but I expected to have more contact with my GP surgery- as in a meeting every 3 months or so - I got put on metformin early on and the nurse called me regularly then - but once I was up to full dose, I’ve had nothing other than annual review (done 6 months into my diagnosis) and bloods appointment.

I don’t like to put extra stress on the NHS if it’s not required, but have family pressing me for updates etc and I say everything must be fine as GP hasn’t been in touch.

Is this everyone else’s experience- or do you need to take charge of your own care?

It’s normal to just have an annual review, it’s you that manages your diabetes not the GP

With Type 2 that would be about normal aftercare, especially if your levels weren't desperately high to start with and are heading in the right direction and you are just using Metformin. If you were on insulin, because of the difficulty in balancing the does to food and exercise and a whole host of other stuff, it would be 6 monthly or perhaps 3 monthly initially. Type 2 diabetes is usually a fairly slow moving condition, one way or the other so nothing too drastic is likely to happen in a year unless your diet is really bad. Some people get a referral to a DESMOND course or similar but that does vary depending upon if your surgery subscribes to such a program. Many people here on the forum don't find it that helpful compared to what they have learned from other diabetics here by asking questions and reading other people's experiences.

Hi Jennsie,

If you think that you need a review for peace of mind or for any concerns that you have, you should ask.

If your diabetes has changed, it will be you and not the NHS that will bear the consequences and in the long run a little more work for the NHS now might mean a lot less for them in the future if it helps you to stay on track.

Through the last two years, I've had to ask for blood samples to be taken and for reviews have have been granted that almost immediately after asking.

@Jennsie You should have eye checks and feet checks too. It might be worth phoning your surgery to ask about these.

Have you had dietary advice and if so, what action have you taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back