Thoracic Scoliosis... anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivostas66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been off work for about 3 weeks, with horrendous cough and shortness of breath. As soon as I walk around I am out of breath and cough quite violently. It is worse in cold or damp weather. First doctor I saw brushed it off as a chest infection, antibiotics and said I would be fine to work. Antibiotics did nothing. Second doctor was much more thorough, concerned about crackle and wheeze on my chest. I was asthmatic as a kid, but this has felt very different to asthma. She sent me for X-Rays last week and booked me in for blood tests and an ECG next week.

Just received the results of the X-Ray. Heart and lungs look "OK", but apparently I have mild Thoracic Scoliosis. No other information given and there is no suggestion of a call back from my GP. Just had a Google and it can cause shortness of breath, difficulties breathing, especially when exercising.

Just wondered if anyone else knew anything about it or had any advice? I shall discuss this further when I head in for blood tests and ECG next week.

I have been off work for about 3 weeks, with horrendous cough and shortness of breath. As soon as I walk around I am out of breath and cough quite violently. It is worse in cold or damp weather. First doctor I saw brushed it off as a chest infection, antibiotics and said I would be fine to work. Antibiotics did nothing. Second doctor was much more thorough, concerned about crackle and wheeze on my chest. I was asthmatic as a kid, but this has felt very different to asthma. She sent me for X-Rays last week and booked me in for blood tests and an ECG next week.

Just received the results of the X-Ray. Heart and lungs look "OK", but apparently I have mild Thoracic Scoliosis. No other information given and there is no suggestion of a call back from my GP. Just had a Google and it can cause shortness of breath, difficulties breathing, especially when exercising.

Just wondered if anyone else knew anything about it or had any advice? I shall discuss this further when I head in for blood tests and ECG next week.
I also had never heard of thoracic scoliosis but looking it up there seems no mention of the symptoms you describe as the condition is normally is recognised by deformity of the spine which would potentially cause pain.

Hi there - How long have you had the cough and shortness of breath?

There is a school of though that considers a chest x-ray to be a very basic test, when looking at breathing challenges. If you remain unhappy, you could ask to be referred for a high resolution CT scan. It will certainly show much more detail, in terms of your lungs, than any x-ray.

Hi there - How long have you had the cough and shortness of breath?

There is a school of though that considers a chest x-ray to be a very basic test, when looking at breathing challenges. If you remain unhappy, you could ask to be referred for a high resolution CT scan. It will certainly show much more detail, in terms of your lungs, than any x-ray.
Yeah, had the cough since mid-October. My Dad (74, extremely fit and healthy) has just been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and atrial fibrillation, so I'm quite clued up with the merits of different tests re: cardiology. Hopefully the blood tests and ECG help to give a clearer indication of what's going on with my breathing. If not, my next port of call will be a scan, or maybe an echo.

I also had never heard of thoracic scoliosis but looking it up there seems no mention of the symptoms you describe as the condition is normally is recognised by deformity of the spine which would potentially cause pain.
A few sites have the following listed:

• a visible curve that affects the upper or middle back
  • uneven shoulder height
  • one shoulder blade that sticks out more than the other
  • ribs that are more prominent on one side
  • waist asymmetry
It can also lead to:
  • back pain
  • lung problems such as shortness of breath and reduced tolerance to exercise
  • nerve compression

Somebody I know has had a cough for many years, very sporadic violent coughing fits and she has been told it is something called Post-nasal drip syndrome.

If it’s “mild” then maybe it was only mentioned as an observation not because it needs treatment? A friend’s child had scoliosis and had to have an operation but hers was clearly visible.

It’s good they’re being thorough with tests. Did you do a Covid test? That can occasionally cause ongoing lung issues.

I have moderate scoliosis in my back. I did have problems getting out of breath but my GP didn't connect the two when I went to her about shortness of breath - although I'm not sure that she picked up about the scoliosis. Unfortunately nobody picked up my scolosis until I was an adult and even then it was only mentioned in passing once by a physio when I was in my mid 20's and another time by a GP commenting on an x-ray from five years ago when he was writing a medical letter for me - in the report he did say that it contributed to my walking problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back