• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

this morning

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
There is an item on 'this morning' Just after the news about diabetes and there will be recipes etc..Bev

Don't you just love tv progrsams, Fern whatsherface saying is there a way you can go back and not have diabetes and be a normal person again.......Did we all become abnormal when we became diabetic and as type 1 because we can't go back to being 'NORMAL' are we weirdos? I wish every day i could go back but its just not gonna happen, i know i'm probably over reacting but i think people should be made to realise we are all normal, just because we have diabetes doesn't make us any less a person.....oooh it makes me so mad

I often ask people to define normal. WHat is normal for one person is not normal for another.

In my family eating meat is normal for my husband, but it is not normal for me. It is normal for me to use the Docklands Light Railway but it is normal for my sone to use South Eastern Trains, but they are all things that are considered normal by everyone.

Diabetes is normal for the users of this forum or a member of their families.

There are all kinds of things that are considered normal to some and not to others. Perhaps one of us can start a thread off topic? MIght be interesting.

I agree that fern used the wrong phrase - she should have said 'return to being a non-diabetic' or something - of course diabetics are NORMAL!

But ,apart from that , i thought it gave quite a good insight to 'joe public' about the differences between type 1 and type 2.

I also thought the recipes looked good and would also be good for type 1's as they are a lot lower in carbs - so slightly healthier. Good tip about the sweetener becoming unstable when heated to over 180 too. Think i may try both the cake and the sweet and sour chicken recipe. :)Bev

I thought it was better than most TV discussions on the subject, especially in making the distinction between Types 1 and 2, but it was weak in a couple of aspects. There was far too great an emphasis on SUGAR - it was too simplistic, suggesting that sugar in the blood equates directly to sugar (in its pure form) consumed. That's simply not the case, sugar comes from all carbs - but no mention was made of bread, rice, pasta etc.

I'm unfamiliar with a two injection regime, but I'm guessing that this would place restricions on chocolate bars etc. And for Type 2 it makes perfect sense to me to restrict simple sugars (and possibly carbs generally).

The other thing that there seemed to be too great an emphasis on was that Type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise, or 'lifestyle', suggesting that those who need tablets or insulin have somehow taken a lazy option, which I would find highly insulting.

Perhaps they should come and read these boards in order to appreciate that this is not a simple straightforward condition, and that there can be wide variations in the type and success of treatments -because we are all different!!!!:mad:

Just in from being at the shops and cant believe I missed that

Sounds like it was good , will have to look at the This Morning website

Allyx

i was at the docs and missed it but my partner said i did'nt miss much lol i will see if i can get it on website , typical ! :)

I agree that fern used the wrong phrase - she should have said 'return to being a non-diabetic' or something - of course diabetics are NORMAL!

But ,apart from that , i thought it gave quite a good insight to 'joe public' about the differences between type 1 and type 2.

I also thought the recipes looked good and would also be good for type 1's as they are a lot lower in carbs - so slightly healthier. Good tip about the sweetener becoming unstable when heated to over 180 too. Think i may try both the cake and the sweet and sour chicken recipe. :)Bev

Yes the recipes looked gorgeous and yes i have heard that some sweetners lose all sweetness once heated/cooked, you just have to look on the packaging, i found this before i was diagnosed because my son is allergic to sugar, not just making him hyper but upsets his stomach badly so cook him non sugar recipes for cakes/meals etc, as for Fern....Shame on you for slipping up like that, we are all normal regardless of what illness we have and i think anyone who suffers with an illness whether it be diabetes or not would love to be 'normal' and not suffer anymore but to be so blatently insensitive was too much

Hi Northerner,

Although it wasnt as detailed as it should have been - it was a lot better than what we normally hear on these sort of programmes.
I understand what you mean about the emphasis being on sugar - but if your not diabetic - do you necessarily need to know about the subject in more detail? After all 'this morning' is not renound for its 'documentary' style of reporting is it!:)Bev

p.s. I rang the programme to complain about Fern using the ' normal' phrase - but there was no apology. Perhaps if more people ring in then they may apologise?:)Bev

p.s. I rang the programme to complain about Fern using the ' normal' phrase - but there was no apology. Perhaps if more people ring in then they may apologise?:)Bev[/QUOTE]

I just rang in too and all i got was can i take your details and your comment has been noted......fat lot of good that will do as damage is done now, people will think if you find out your diabetic if you stop eating sugar it will go away and your'll be 'normal' again!

Hi Northerner,

Although it wasnt as detailed as it should have been - it was a lot better than what we normally hear on these sort of programmes.
I understand what you mean about the emphasis being on sugar - but if your not diabetic - do you necessarily need to know about the subject in more detail? After all 'this morning' is not renound for its 'documentary' style of reporting is it!:)Bev

I know what you mean bev, but I just think it's as easy to say diabetes is too much glucose in the blood - they explained well about lack of insulin/insulin resistance - and that glucose comes from digested carbohydrate, like bread, rice etc. as well as sugar. Then joe public wouldn't think that you 'get it' from eating too much sugar, and it can be avoided by cutting out sugar.

i was out this mornin and didnt see the program. was it really ok?? i tend to look at things they do on tv regarding this type of thing with a certain amount of skepticism as they normally dont give the correct facts. wow did fern really say that!!!! gets my blood boiling as she isnt normal either then!!!! little miss gastric band!!!!! im surprised dr chris didnt correct her as he can be good on certain things. i will have to try and catch it on the website later.

I didn't see This Morning on TV, but I did see Dr Chris Steele getting his OBE at Buckingham Palace last summer - he ended up sitting next to a row of service personnnel and warmly greeted each one as they sat down.

Did anyone see yesterday's Loose Women? I was up late last night and caught some of the repeat. They were discussing the alcohol problems that Scotland has and about the possible price increases of alcoholic drinks etc.

Leslie Garratt started saying she knows 15 year olds who have drink problems and then suddenly I heard her say "the teenaged alcoholics of today are the diabetics of tomorrow..."

I was like :eek: thanks but ummm, I certainly wasn't an alcoholic at the age on 15 ;)

Hi

Some of you may have watched This Morning a few months ago (you may remember or not :confused:) and Phil asked Dr Chris if you can prevent diabetes and Dr Chris said 'YES you can prevent diabetes'.

The whole problem was that during the whole segment Phil only mentioned type 1 and type 2 were different once at the very beginning of a very long segment. So you can imagine the uproar and my band of merry men (hundreds of parents with children with type 1) all emailed in with complaints. I believe, and don't quote me on this, that Phil has a child with type 1 which made it worse.

Not one of us ever received a reply. We are always emailing these programmes who don't differentiate because they always say you can prevent diabetes. You can't prevent type 1, end of ! Occasionally you can help to prevent type 2 but not always.

I have a feeling that this whole segment was due to not just us but lots of complaints from before. We were all sat at our various tv's watching and were happy that they said type 1 and type 2 all the way through.

Northerner, good point about just using the word sugar, that is very misleading. They're getting there though, slowly slowly. I don't rate Dr Chris much, he seems a builder of all trades but master of none!

Phil's daughter has diabetes, so i'm sure they dont mean to give inaccurate info.

I agree with Northerner that to much emphasis was placed on type 2 treatment, Dr Chris actual words were " It is treated with Exercise and diet and not insulin..it annoys me that this is the normal information given out, that type 2s do not need insulin. I was rushed into hospital on my diagnoses spent 14 days there, and have been on insulin since day one.
I emailed the program and asked that Dr Chris correct his statement and recieved a reply saying it has been passed to the appropriate department

Hi UKJohn

I once went to a DUK meeting in London, a campaigning meeting of some sort. Mostly the people there were (and I'm generalising here) over 55 years old. We were all put into little groups at one point and all the people I was with were in the over 55 age range, mostly older. They were all treated by their GP's and none at hospitals. About half of them told me they were type 1. When questioned it transpired that they all used to be on tablets and were all only diagnosed recently rather than childhood and they all started off as type 2 !!!!!!!!! It was their GP's ( all different GPs) who had told each and every one that now they were on insulin injections they were miraculously type 1. They did not understand at all when I tried to explained why nicely and gently that they stayed a type 2 and did not become type 1 just cos of injections. They were mostly of the generation that believed doctors (again no offence meant to anyone over 55 here - I'm not that far off that now) and how could a non professional parent of a type 1 child know better.

If the medical people get it so wrong what hope have the general public got.

It is truly amazing.

I've just watched it online and I have to say I think it was a very well done piece, sure there are elements that were maybe a bit too simplified, and some details we'd love people to know, but that's coming from the point of view of someone with an interest in diabetes. For the everyday person I think it was well put together with the basic facts there without labouring the point too much. It's quite easy to pick holes with the bits that weren't handled as we'd like but as a whole I think it was very good and I have emailed to say so.

I don't take any offense to the 'normal comment', I don't see it as being some sort of dig that diabetics aren't 'normal' (what is normal anyway?!) but my pancreas certainly isn't normal and I would love it if it was!

I agree with Northerner that to much emphasis was placed on type 2 treatment, Dr Chris actual words were " It is treated with Exercise and diet and not insulin..it annoys me that this is the normal information given out, that type 2s do not need insulin.

to be fair he said it's not routinely treated with insulin and the slide said diet and exercise and/or medication which I think is a fairly acceptable comment, yes he could have been more explicit but I think in the majority of cases non medical treatments will be tried, or at the least considered, before medication.

why is nobody appalled that Leslie Garratt thinks we were all alcoholics? :D

Back