This is what a false ‘compression low’ looks like for a Libre sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlevoice359

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
So, I must have rolled over on top of my Libre sensor during the early hours of this morning as I was woken up by an xDrip+ low alert. As per my usual routine, I got out my Contour Next meter and did a finger-prick test to see what the actual value was. Since this let me know that low alert was false, I chose to simply wait for the sensor to recover. Also, I entered a note in the Librelink app to remind me that the low incident was false.

Anyways, by that point I had woken up sufficiently to have the presence of mind to take a picture of the event:

Pasted Graphic.tiff
xDrip+ Libreview daily log

Anyway, I thought this might be useful to those newly diagnosed among us, mostly because the first time this happened to me, I remember it freaked me out a little.

PS: While the low alert was false, the incident was useful in that it let me know my BG was higher than I would like, so I took 1 unit NovoRapid to try to keep within target throughout the rest of the night.

The finger prick confirmation is a good tool to highlight 'wonky' Libre readings. The sensor is not damaged, just a little squashed, and will recover soon.

Well done on using xdrip, and finger pricking to paint a broader picture than using Libre alone.

Useful information @littlevoice359 reminding people that we need to get a full picture when things don’t seem quite right. I will still over treat a low from my sensor, ignoring the information in my head about the time lag and wanting to get on with things.

I've had several of these types of lows, but was unsure of the cause. Latest batch may be due to sensor located away from centre of arm and prone to sleeping on.
This morning (~02:30) low alarm raised (~4.3) with sharp drop in graph. Was sufficiently aware this time to check blood a couple of mins later, and it was 8.1. After another couple of mins, Libre showed 9.7. Just as well didn't have a snack.
However, if the low indicates a gradual reduction or occurs 1 to 2 hrs after meal/injection, I treat as a real low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back