Third vaccine dose - what advise are you given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heribeus

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Whether young adults with well regulated T1D are considered to be an at-risk group when it comes to Covid varies. In Norway communication around this issue is somewhat shifting. Currently the government advise is that at-risk groups should take the second vaccine booster dose (third dose in total), but healthy adults under the age of 45 can take it (no clear recommendation for the latter).

I wonder what advise you are given when it comes to the second booster dose (third dose in total), and whether all T1D are considered to be at-risk in your country/area.

Stay safe,
H

Whether young adults with well regulated T1D are considered to be an at-risk group when it comes to Covid varies. In Norway communication around this issue is somewhat shifting. Currently the government advise is that at-risk groups should take the second vaccine booster dose (third dose in total), but healthy adults under the age of 45 can take it (no clear recommendation for the latter).

I wonder what advise you are given when it comes to the second booster dose (third dose in total), and whether all T1D are considered to be at-risk in your country/area.

Stay safe,
H
Everybody here is advised to get a third (booster) dose. There has never been a distinction between clinically vulnerable and others, apart from the order in which they were asked to come forward. The aim is to have offered all adults a third or booster dose by the beginning of January. ('offered', ie as in, have an appointment booked, even if this is early January)
For most people, it’s called a booster dose (on top of their first two) and for the clinically extremely vulnerable (so cancer patients, etc, not people with 'just' diabetes) it’s called the ‘third dose', the implication being, I suppose, that they might get a further booster later on.

Here in Oz it's approved & advised for all 18+.

Not sure why the 18+ restriction - first two shots approved for 5+ & presumably effectiveness wanes in kids as much as adults? Maybe waiting for data, I guess.

Yes the UK is currently in the middle of a huge Booster effort to try to get as many people as possible protected. 3 doses have been shown to really help protect against severe illness even during the rampant Omicron surge.

Yes, everyone who has any kind of diabetes is considered clinically vulnerable, which is supported by research during the first wave showing that people with diabetes have a significantly raise risk of dying if hospitalised by COVID-19.

Yes, everyone who has any kind of diabetes is considered clinically vulnerable, which is supported by research during the first wave showing that people with diabetes have a significantly raise risk of dying if hospitalised by COVID-19.
It appears people with diabetes are more at risk of they have high levels and are over weight.
There has been little research into people with good diabetes management and not overweight.

As already stated - everyone in the UK can get the third jab, whether it's designated a 'booster' or a '3rd jab' - but in that latter category, the inference is (but not publicly stated) that the immuno-suppressed would/may be offered a further booster jab.

Nobody actually knows cos this is still all new to the medical profession. However - this Omicron variant seems to be hitting younger folk than the previous strains of the virus - but hits them less hard than older people, unless the people do have other health problems the same as it has been from Day 1 with Covid. There again in the UK there are still a lot of people who haven't even had their first one and they tell us that even us old compliant ones who have been double or triple jabbed, can get Omicron and/or infect other people.

Early on, Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II stated publicly to the UK that even if anyone thinks they may not be at risk themselves, since even so they may be able to infect others not so fortunate, that it was time to think of other people rather than just themselves and to have the vaccine anyway to protect others.

My husband and I, like many others, have already had all 3 doses with no lasting ill effects as far as we know.

It appears people with diabetes are more at risk of they have high levels and are over weight.
There has been little research into people with good diabetes management and not overweight.
I think the analysis had those as separate risk factors, so yes, having high HbA1c and being overweight were risk factors, but simply having diabetes was also a risk factor (with Type 1 and Type 2 having slightly different factors).

I think it's fair to say the error bars were quite wide for some of these things (there weren't that many people with Type 1 diabetes who died in hospital in that first wave), so it's likely the case that a well controlled normal weight person with diabetes might well have little additional risk, but in the analysis they did they found there did seem to be an extra risk.

Had jab 3 about 6 weeks ago, went with wife to get hers done then was offered one when explained had type 1, this was before mass vaccination push for third jab in uk.

Happy to have 4th when available, suspect that might be sooner than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back