Third course of Antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pam123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Im on my third course of antibiotics for a UTI, first off hubby had to get the doctor out before Christmas as i was so poorly, he prescribed a 7 day broad spectrum antibiotic and sent a urine sample off to be tested, results confirmed i had a UTI

he then gave me a 3 day course which i finished last weekend but was still feeling ill so have been given another 3 day course which i finish tomorrow, my blood sugar has been up and down, but now seams to be settling today, i have 30 units of Lantus and nothing else has ever been prescribed to her with meals etc.

I have started taking Blueberry extract mainly to help with UTI re occurring but it seams to help with my BS levels, i just wondered if anyone else takes Blueberry extract.

No, but I used to take cranberry extract tablets for many years and they helped a lot. I also had a herbal thing whose name I’ve forgotten that had extracts that helped. Neither of those are a replacement for medication though.

I hope you feel better soon. UTIs are horrible things.

Im on my third course of antibiotics for a UTI, first off hubby had to get the doctor out before Christmas as i was so poorly, he prescribed a 7 day broad spectrum antibiotic and sent a urine sample off to be tested, results confirmed i had a UTI

he then gave me a 3 day course which i finished last weekend but was still feeling ill so have been given another 3 day course which i finish tomorrow, my blood sugar has been up and down, but now seams to be settling today, i have 30 units of Lantus and nothing else has ever been prescribed to her with meals etc.

I have started taking Blueberry extract mainly to help with UTI re occurring but it seams to help with my BS levels, i just wondered if anyone else takes Blueberry extract.
UtI's are notoriously difficult to treat as depending on just where in the pipework the infection is it requires a different type of antibiotic. Usually it needs longer than a 3 day course so I am surprised that you haven't had longer on them.
They should also be able to see which is the best one from your urine sample as they will test it with a range of antibiotics in the lab.
I know people sometimes find cranberry extract good for UTI in particular cystitis.

No, but I used to take cranberry extract tablets for many years and they helped a lot. I also had a herbal thing whose name I’ve forgotten that had extracts that helped. Neither of those are a replacement for medication though.

I hope you feel better soon. UTIs are horrible things.
thank you i am feeling a bit better now, i have bought some cranberry juice which i didnt realise was ok, but i will be buying some cranberry extract to take long term to hope keep it at bay

I’d avoid the actual juice @Pam123 due to the carbs. The cranberry tablets are a good alternative and won’t mess up your blood sugar 🙂

UtI's are notoriously difficult to treat as depending on just where in the pipework the infection is it requires a different type of antibiotic. Usually it needs longer than a 3 day course so I am surprised that you haven't had longer on them.
They should also be able to see which is the best one from your urine sample as they will test it with a range of antibiotics in the lab.
I know people sometimes find cranberry extract good for UTI in particular cystitis.
I have had the broad spectrum which didnt help and 2 lots of a 3 day course so far the doctor said he may need to take a sample and re test if it still continues, i really hope its on the way out.

My father (not diabetic) had a persistent UTI last year and needed multiple courses of antibiotics to get rid of it. After each course, he would feel better for a couple of days and then it came back.
Eventually, the third course of, I think, 10 days knocked it on its head.
I know doctors are concerned about germs becoming immune to antibiotics which is why they try to limit them. Maybe my father’s dose was longer because, as he is in his mid-80s, the doctor is less concerned about this. However, he is pretty fit for his age.

My father (not diabetic) had a persistent UTI last year and needed multiple courses of antibiotics to get rid of it. After each course, he would feel better for a couple of days and then it came back.
Eventually, the third course of, I think, 10 days knocked it on its head.
I know doctors are concerned about germs becoming immune to antibiotics which is why they try to limit them. Maybe my father’s dose was longer because, as he is in his mid-80s, the doctor is less concerned about this. However, he is pretty fit for his age.
thats exactly whats happened to me felt better for a couple of days then ill again.

My other half had numerous UTIs when he was waiting for a prostate op as he needed a catheter. He was put on one antibiotic but then the doc rang and said that wasn't the right one from what they found so he then had a 10 day course of something else as it has to be one that stays in the urinary tract system for longer rather than being excreted too quickly.
What is it they have given you now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back