Thinking of stopping my Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee132

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all I'm type 2 who was started on Metformin 500mg 2 in morning and 2 at night from April. My diabetic nurse also increased atorvastatin from 20mg to 40mg. I was ok at first but the last few months I keep getting bouts of feeling sick and smells of food cooking sometimes turns my stomach and sometimes can't finish my tea if I can't stomach it . I was thinking of stopping my Metformin for a week to see if it's them thats causing this

Hi all I'm type 2 who was started on Metformin 500mg 2 in morning and 2 at night from April. My diabetic nurse also increased atorvastatin from 20mg to 40mg. I was ok at first but the last few months I keep getting bouts of feeling sick and smells of food cooking sometimes turns my stomach and sometimes can't finish my tea if I can't stomach it . I was thinking of stopping my Metformin for a week to see if it's them thats causing this
You have signed yourself as 'at risk' so I can't for the life of me think why you are on a high dose of metformin.
Even in the lower end of the diabetes zone people should be given the opportunity to make dietary changes before medication.
The atorvastatin is for cholesterol so that must be quite high to warrant the high dose.
What was your HbA1C and what diet are you following.

You have signed yourself as 'at risk' so I can't for the life of me think why you are on a high dose of metformin.
I agree it seems odd but the NHS webpage about Metformin does say that it's also used to help prevent type 2 diabetes if someone's at high risk of developing it.

@Lee132 - personally I wouldn't stop taking prescribed medication without your GP's or DN's approval

My hba1c was 51, I just thought if I stop it and the sickness goes then I could ask for an alternative such as slow release or something else

My hba1c was 51, I just thought if I stop it and the sickness goes then I could ask for an alternative such as slow release or something else
51? Sorry but that's not 'at risk', that's actually diabetes.

It actually took me 2 months to settle with Metformin slow release, I had good information from the pharmacist who adviced this was quite common.

The rule is to never stop medicines without talking to your provider first. If on two they possibly will reduce before stopping and may want to check why the symptoms are happening rather than just stop.
You do seem on a hefty dose so I believe your sugar level may have been previously higher but might be lower with the medication and without could go back to being much much higher.
So you have a new problem go seek medical advice. I would not take it into my own hands unless I 100% could not tolerate them. I was throwing up all day so mine were not really getting into my system. It took a while for me to settle with this medication and I feel a bit the same with smells of food but a long way from stopping my medication.
Please seek help from your provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back