Thinking about requesting pump for son - good reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogger

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi, would appreciate a bit of advice please - I think now's the time to look into a pump for my six year old. Do these sound like good reasons?

He has around 2-4 hypos per week on his current MDI regime and is largely hypo unaware and they are very hard to spot. At 2.8mmls he can be jumping around and lively so not obvious!

I think the pump would mean we could give him insullin and offer correction doses more flexibly without risking as many hypos. He's six years old and very tall and broad for his age with a slim build. He needs to eat but his tummys still little so he might have a breakfast of cereal, then want toast 30 mins later. But not all the time and he's not very good as anticipating when he might want to eat more, understandable at six. I do give correction doses on these occasions but some days I just feel he's getting like a pin cushion.

Finally, he experiences big blood sugar changes at night, numbers soaring high, then getting into a hypo by 3am.

Do you think a pump would help these things? We are arranging for him to do a week with a continuous glucose monitor on, mainly to work out what's going on at night, but I'm thinking that if he doesn't mind wearing that, it might be a good time to move onto a pump.

His consultant has mentioned a pump for the last few appointments, because of his lack of hypo awareness so I think we wouldn't have a fight on our hands, it's just working out if it's right for our son?

Sorry, long post, but any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

As you say it likely you will not have a fight due to him having regular hypos and being unaware. As his carer this will be affecting you significantly....

So I really don't think you will have a problem.

Is it right for him, I would say with the right training and attitude its right for any insulin dependent diabetic, it can be hard work though, but is worth it......🙂

Hi and welcome to the forum 🙂

A pump would help with all the things you mention, and many more besides! Your son will certainly qualify (note that the convenience/inconvenience to you as his carer is neither here nor there! Sorry Novorapidboi!).

With a pump you can program different basal rates for each hour of the day and night if necessary, so that at times when he needs less basal he isn't stuck with a big surge of levemir or Lantus! Also, when he has growth spurts or illness, you can easily change the basal rate for the affected part of the day (very often it'll be the night). You can set temporary reduced basals for when he's doing sport or energetic activities. You can bolus insulin for meals incrementally, which would help with your breakfast issues. You can also do split boluses, where part of the insulin is given upfront and part is spread over the next couple of hours, to help deal with long-digesting foods like pasta. It's a brilliant tool for him to lead a normal life 🙂

Go for it, you won't regret it!

Hi, it would be much easier to match the insulin to his needs (eating habits and activity levels) via a pump and in this respect you may well be able to reduce the amount of hypo's he is experiencing.

The problem at night with starting off high then ending hypo at 3am can be addressed with the pump by having different basal rates set to keep his levels much smoother, rather than the flattish rate the injection provides.

It also look like you have the backing from the consultant too which is great. I suppose the only issue would be how your son would feel having a pump, would he take much convincing to carry round this little device all the time. My little one is fine with it but has had it before she turned two so won't really know anything else. Obviously one great pro you can big up to him is less injections and more flexibility with his eating, and that he may well feel loads better once his levels can be a bit more stable.

It is a fair amount of work to start with but if you can get "Pumping Insulin" by Walsh & Roberts, it would help with getting the most out of it.

Good luck with what you decide 🙂

Thank you for your helpful (and speedy!) replies. It sounds like there are some very good reasons for us to try a pump - the flexibility sounds amazing and if it reduces the high/low swings and hypos and helps at night, it will be very worth doing.

I do worry about what my son will think of it - he's generally pretty tough and decided to try self injecting just after his 6th birthday and never complains about having an injection. I will let him make up his own mind after wearing the glucose monitor for a week - he's definitely better if left to come round to an idea rather than being 'encouraged' by me.

Likewise My husband has been pretty resistant up till recently about getting a pump for our son but he's come round to the idea and I'm going to show him all your replies so he can understand a bit more about the benefits.

Thanks again, Frogger

It may be worth having a look at some footage on YouTube of kids with their pumps, may give your son some insight into it, my daughter likes to see other kids like her, even if it's just someone doing their finger prick 🙂

the other wonderful thing your son might like sooner or later is that he could get a meter which bluetooths the information to the pump - cool electronics for these savvy youngsters!

I am a school governor and was seriously impressed by the two children with diabetes and pumps in the infants school. (and as a matter of fact got my first pump last Monday, not quite as easy for us oldies!)

note that the convenience/inconvenience to you as his carer is neither here nor there! Sorry Novorapidboi!

no need to apologise, I wasn't listing that as a reason as such, just sympathising....🙂

Oh yes! - one of the Roche pump videos shows a 2-ish yo out with mum and dad having a picnic, and they do a blood test (which obviously he knows about) and the meter calculated the dose and just delivers his insulin whilst he eats his lunch.

As the one in the drivers seat of course there is a bit more to it than that (filling cannulas, changing cannulas etc) but honestly, it can't be rocket science can it? Nooooo - because I can do it! Me, the great-grandmother technophobe !

I would get his name down for one ! Nothings perfect but they are the best upto now. With "Temp Basils" for sport etc. You sort the insulin not the other way around. Good luck 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back