Think like a pancreas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Been reading the book (heads spinning) very informative, it says that when counting carbs if for instance on the packet or can there is x amount of fibre in it you should deduct that from the total carbs it contains, was never told that.

Thats not correct for the uk...fibre is already deducted from carbs in uk.
In the US carb count includes fibre, hence need for 'net carbs'
The book is great, but that bit is not relevant to the UK

Bugger, here's me thinking that's why my carb counting is all over, no doubt I will be along again regarding the GI figures.

That is why it is important to know the source of the information UK or US. I think some apps with carb info embedded refer to carbs and FIBER separately if US based.

I use the nutracheck app and the carbs and fibre are separate, so I just ignore the fibre numbers and concentrate on the carbs.

I tend to use sainsburys website for carbs - its comprehensive and doing a google leaves you with US site, sites that tell you carbs per 'portion' etc etc

doing a google leaves you with US site, sites that tell you carbs per 'portion' etc etc
I've always been puzzled by what US sites mean by a portion being a 'cup' or '1/2 a cup' etc.

They do like their olde timey measurements don't the

I've always been puzzled by what US sites mean by a portion being a 'cup' or '1/2 a cup' etc.
These are defined volumes. Just like a foot probably used to differ based on the length of your foot but now it is 12 inches.
A US cup is pretty close to 250ml.
And a teaspoon is 5ml not dependent upon how sweet you want in your tea.

Need to take care - UK cups are not quite the same as USA cups.

Asked Google what the difference is and got Bra cup sizes. :rofl:
It seems Google's new AI feature isn't completely reliable: https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/23/24162896/google-ai-overview-hallucinations-glue-in-pizza

The top answer I get is really rather good, so I guess I was lucky (or, about as likely, I tend to search for cooking related things much more often than women's clothing):

I asked "what's the difference between UK and US cups?" (without the quotes), and got

The UK cups are 250mls and US cups are 240mls, so UK half cups are 125mls whereas US half cups are 120mls (quarter cups tend to be the same at 60mls). However for most recipes the difference is small and won't affect the finished dish.​

from https://www.nigella.com/ask/us-cup-to-uk-cup-measures

I assumed US cups were imperial and uk ones were metric. So US are probably some random number close to 240g which we round up to 250g.

I assumed US cups were imperial and uk ones were metric. So US are probably some random number close to 240g which we round up to 250g.
If you’re as old as I am, you still think of a US cup as being 8 fluid ounces!

I believe that's the case, yes. A metric cup is apparently 250ml, and a US cup is half a pint. (But a US pint, so not the same as a UK pint.)

(I was a bit surprised since I'd never heard of a metric cup. Presumably it's just not a commonly used term, which might be why Google went for bra sizes when @Leadinglights asked.)

I just don't understand how you can have a cup of broccoli or a cup of rhubarb as I have seen in some recipes. Surely it depends on what size the pieces are as to how much you get in a cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back