"Think Like A Pancreas" - The Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After reading some recommendations I download a sample of this book. It is quite an enjoyable read but I am now at 1996. The author has now got a pump and I am wondering if the book is really for people with pumps. In a lot of posts I read about people taking an additional 1/1.5/2/etc. units which I suspect is a pump tweak. On MDI I might add or take away a few units based on last BG, physical activity, upcoming meal I would never inject such a trivial amount. So is the book relevant for me?

I started to read this book a few years ago when I first got a pump.
I say "started" because, although this is an often recommended book, I found it condescending and could not finish it.
So, I cannot comment on the relevance of the book to pumping or not - I never got that far in the book.

Prior to pumping, I would give myself an extra half a unit (I am pretty sensitive to insulin) when I found myself higher than I wanted between meals. I probably do this more often now but it was definitely not a pump tweak.

After reading some recommendations I download a sample of this book. It is quite an enjoyable read but I am now at 1996. The author has now got a pump and I am wondering if the book is really for people with pumps. In a lot of posts I read about people taking an additional 1/1.5/2/etc. units which I suspect is a pump tweak. On MDI I might add or take away a few units based on last BG, physical activity, upcoming meal I would never inject such a trivial amount. So is the book relevant for me?
I got it 15 years ago when I was first diagnosed. I don’t think I read it cover to cover, but I remember some bits being really helpful for a newbie, (like explaining the 'Area under the curve' of a BG graph, where what you want to do is minimise this, so it doesn’t matter if you get short sharp spikes, or a long slow curve that takes you just above your threshold for hours, both of them result in the same amount of excess glucose sloshing around, so both are bad for you in the long term). I must look out my copy, which is now gathering dust on the bookshelves, and see what it was that I found so useful. (Of course, newer editions may focus more on modern tech).

I've been dipping into the latest version to help with my pump start and have found some sections very useful.

There's also a lot that I won't be re-reading (I read the 2nd edition about 10 years ago - it was a massive help, because my endo and her team were seriously lacking in 1. knowledge and 2. bedside manner) because it isn't relevant to me now.

I guess we're a wide-ranging bunch and any book on diabetes will run into the same problem of trying to cover everything.

I like your thread title @MikeyBikey - The Book. Is there a film version?😉:D

After reading some recommendations I download a sample of this book.
I have the 3rd edition, purchased in autumn 2020 as an e-book; this edition seems to have been launched after Sep 2019 and has copyright restraints dated May 2020. @MikeyBikey may I ask what edition your sample is coming from?
It is quite an enjoyable read but I am now at 1996.
Is that the year 1996 or the digital location?

This was the first book that I purchased after my diagnosis and I found it very informative. I used it as my instruction manual for carb counting and found that helpful to me. I enjoyed the style of his writing, even the slightly cheesy humour and I appreciated that the vast majority of his numerical examples provided European units as well as the US units. As a newbie I found a huge amount being explained, perhaps (as a newbie) too much, but that's probably true for everything.
The author has now got a pump and I am wondering if the book is really for people with pumps. In a lot of posts I read about people taking an additional 1/1.5/2/etc. units which I suspect is a pump tweak. On MDI I might add or take away a few units based on last BG, physical activity, upcoming meal I would never inject such a trivial amount.
I wasn't then remotely interested in pumping, so I skipped pumping content and Hybrid Closed Loops (HCL); so no idea if that technology is fully up to date. It's probably impossible to keep abreast of anyway.

You asked "So is the book relevant for me?"

Given your background and existing experience that's a tricky, rhetorical, question. Your observation about pump tweaks and injecting trivial amounts reflects your existing knowledge.

This book was relevant for me as my first reference text, beyond the bland and conservative material that the NHS generically provides. I'd read a lot from Google searches but found contradictions and ambiguities, so was feeling increasingly uncomfortable about internet searches. Curiously, interestingly (?), I hadn't found this site then; an old review here of this book might have dissuaded me from purchasing - which would have been a shame. I have more recently bought a paperback copy of Ragnar Hanas book on T1 diabetes and concluded not so much relevance to me now, given my pre-existing knowledge after 2+ years of trying to glean D info; perhaps that is always going to be the case: only deep technical research papers are providing new insights for me into D and I rarely stumble into these.

That doesn't mean that the general exchange of experiences, tips and tricks from this forum aren't truly invaluable; I get a great deal of useful snippets from here.

During 2019 into 2020 I had convinced myself that e-books were best for me, but I am finding reference books a little more difficult to 'dip into' for a refresh on something I recall reading about originally. Digital searches for key words or phrases are technically accurate but can bring dozens of text markers for where that key word or phrase has occurred and difficult to determine which marker is best suited to answer my search; progressing sysyematically through those markers is deceptively unfriendly - needing a clear memory of where you havevgot to in that systematic follow up! I'd like to see a paper copy and compare how easy it is to search in the index and text for something.

If we get enough rain and so enforced respite from essential gardening, I'll have another proper look at my e-book.

I’ve just dug out my copy and skipped through it. It’s the 2004 edition! So it contains very little about pumps, just an add on paragraph at the end of most sections, and is geared up for MDI.
I found it extremely useful when first diagnosed, because I was originally diagnosed as Type 2, and by the time I was reclassified, the only input from a DSN I got was 20 minutes learning how to inject, followed by a 'Try 10 units of basal, and a 1:10 carb ratio for Bolus, and then adjust it yourself from there' No DAFNE or anything offered, but I think she recommended this book.
It taught me about how to deal with exercise, and all the other variables, told me what the Dawn Effect was, and other stuff I'd probably have got from the Forum if it had existed back then.
I couldn’t find he bit about 'area under the curve' though, maybe that was in he other book 'using insulin ' that I had at the time.

If you’ve got a system that works for you and don’t think it would help then I suspect it may not. But if you have some uncertainty, frustrations and feel you have some ‘gaps’ in your understanding then either Think Like a Pancreas, Using Insulin (John Walsh), or Type 1 Diabetes by Ragnar Hanas might really help?

My sample download is the 2020 edition. I might check out a s/h 2004 edition as pumps far rarer then.

In a lot of posts I read about people taking an additional 1/1.5/2/etc. units which I suspect is a pump tweak.
Not at all or at least certainly not in my case as I don't have a pump and I regularly tweak my basal by 1, 1.5 or 2 units and surely anyone carb counting will make similar adjustments to bolus doses or corrections. It may be because you are a larger man, that these amounts seem small to you. It depends on your circumstances and your diabetes.
I can't comment on the book as I haven't read it but it seems to me that most of the knowledge it contains can be gained from this wonderful forum and at 3.5 years down the line I am not sure there will be much in the book which would be helpful to me.
In your situation I would ask for a DAFNE course or whatever your local equivalent is, if you haven't done that and continue to push hard for Libre. The educators on the DAFNE course would I am sure act as advocates to get you Libre if you still haven't been successful by the time you got on a course.

I found it very informative. I enjoyed the style of his writing, even the slightly cheesy humour and I appreciated that the vast majority of his numerical examples provided European units as well as the US units. As a newbie I found a huge amount being explained, perhaps (as a newbie) too much, but that's probably true for everything.
Snap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back