Things that we do to cheer ourselves and distract from the diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I'm feeling fed up with diabetes related things I always seem to forget the things that I enjoy doing - and then realised that if I had a list of them I could look at it during the "bad" times and start putting them back into action. I've realised that the list is rather long but can you expand on it please for yourselves (I haven't put work on the list but hate it when I can't go to work)
Being with OH, playing with my gorgeous doggy, spending time with close family and friends, having massages, walking doggy, reading a good chick lit book on my Ipad, playing Farmville on Facebook (I know that one is sad), cooking, playing with my friends children (I don't have any of my own), carving pumpkins, planning for Christmas, vegetable gardening, planting bulbs, having bubble baths, walking along a beach, knitting Christmas decorations................................

I think my main pleasures are reading and going out for a walk or a run 🙂 A lot of people think running is boring, but I've always found it a great way to get out and see the neighbourhood and people-watch. I used to write accounts of my daily runs and dedicate each one to a person on a depression group so that they could feel they were along with me and to let them know what special friends they were 🙂

I also love coming here! I know, it's supposed to be a place about diabetes and you said what do people do to forget about it, but I honestly only think about the diabetes aspect when someone is asking a specific question - apart from that it's all about the brilliant people I've got to know here. OK, sorry, I'll pass the bucket - must be going all soft and Southern on my birthday! 😉

What a pity we don't have a 'like' button the same as Facebook as I wish to show my approval (but not of the bit about the bucket)!

Last edited:
Is it your birthday Northener? Lots and lots and lots of happy birthday wishes if it is

Is it your birthday Northener? Lots and lots and lots of happy birthday wishes if it is

Thank you, it is indeed! We normally put birthdays in the Off the Subject section, so you may not have seen it there (people are often surprised to find areas they haven't seen before! 🙂)

Oops sorry!!! I must admit that I only read the main message boards page

The only time I am ever distracted from my diabetes is when I sleep 🙂 but sometimes even in my sleep I dream of diabetes especially when I go low at night.
what keeps me happy is fast long distance bike rides, walking my pit, being open about Diabetes (just recently, I used to be ashamed of it), reading, working out, hanging out with friends. but even with all these activities I never truly distract myself from Diabetes. It is a part of me until the day they find a cure.

Oops sorry!!! I must admit that I only read the main message boards page

Not a problem! You are, however, missing some very erudite commentary on the current X-factor season or the opportunity to lounge on the beach on our virtual tropical island! 🙂

When I'm feeling fed up with diabetes related things I always seem to forget the things that I enjoy doing - and then realised that if I had a list of them I could look at it during the "bad" times and start putting them back into action. I've realised that the list is rather long but can you expand on it please for yourselves (I haven't put work on the list but hate it when I can't go to work)
Being with OH, playing with my gorgeous doggy, spending time with close family and friends, having massages, walking doggy, reading a good chick lit book on my Ipad, playing Farmville on Facebook (I know that one is sad), cooking, playing with my friends children (I don't have any of my own), carving pumpkins, planning for Christmas, vegetable gardening, planting bulbs, having bubble baths, walking along a beach, knitting Christmas decorations................................

I like a bit of retail therapy when cash allows... although I made 80 quid this week sellin junk on ebay! and new look on line takes paypal :D I also love a book just bought tess gerritsens Life support, medical thrillers love em 🙄

Oh and i love spendin time with Gracie and have found a new talent for baking cakes 😱

sound like am gettin old reading that back hehehe

Love walking the dog, since we got him he has been my saviour being able to take him out just me and him, he listens to me moaning on and dont answer back lol.Also swimming with my mate as much as possible...taking my mind away from diabetes for even just 10 minutes is something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back