THIGH PAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spangle0581

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone
I havn't posted for a while .
For about the last month I have had a pain in my thigh which starts around my hip .When i sit down it is ok but to walk the pain is awful . Its at the front of my thigh and not the back as I thought it maybe Sciatica
Yes I will make an appointment with the GP but wanted to see if anyone else had similar and if it maybe Diabetic related ??
Thanks for reading
Jane x

I have not heard about thigh issues related to diabetes.
Neuropathy usually affects extremities such as feet and hands.

Years ago I did a lot of walking at work and the floors were parquet and I just wore normal shoes and developed pain in my hip which was diagnosed as soft tissue damage. The physio recommended wearing shoes that were more cushioned. Oh what a difference it made.

Might be "Proximal Neuropathy". I think that I had this when I was diagnosed, but it went away when I got my BG down. The GP just told me it was 'wear and tear' and to go swimming.

Might be "Proximal Neuropathy". I think that I had this when I was diagnosed, but it went away when I got my BG down. The GP just told me it was 'wear and tear' and to go swimming.

Thanks so much for the info and especially the link to Neuopathy - reading that sounds like I have those symptoms x

Sorry to hear you are suffering pain in your thigh/hip[. What are your BG levels like? Is there any obvious muscle wastage?

There is a condition called Diabetic Amyotrophy which is usually associated with prolonged high BG levels. It isn't very common and we have only had a few people discuss it on the forum over the years. I believe is is reversible with better BG management, but if your levels are good, it is unlikely to be that.

Reading that link to Proximal Neuropathy it sounds like the same thing as Diabetic Amyotrophy.

Sorry to hear you are suffering pain in your thigh/hip[. What are your BG levels like? Is there any obvious muscle wastage?

There is a condition called Diabetic Amyotrophy which is usually associated with prolonged high BG levels. It isn't very common and we have only had a few people discuss it on the forum over the years. I believe is is reversible with better BG management, but if your levels are good, it is unlikely to be that.
Hi
My levels of HBA1C were 57 when diagnosed which was in January - i have heard that statins can also cause muscle pain ? i do feel like my muscles have become less if that makes sense

An HbA1c of 57 is unlikely to cause DA/PN from what I have read, it is usually prolonged (months or years even) of really high BG levels which cause it I believe.
It would be worth discussing with your GP coming off the statins for a few months to see if that resolves it. Was your cholesterol really high or is the statin more a case of you being diabetic and over 40 and therefore you get a tick in the box for them?

Do you test your BG levels at home? Just wondering what sort of readings you are getting if you do and if they tie in with your HbA1c or if things are possibly changing for the better or worse? Weight loss and muscle loss/wastage can also be an indication of Type 1, (not generally pain though) and you would expect to see a much higher HbA1c than that if you were Type 1, which is why I ask about home testing and BG levels. I know my arms and thighs started to look like they belonged to someone else just after diagnosis when the weight suddenly just dropped off me. No pain though other than pins and needles.

An HbA1c of 57 is unlikely to cause DA/PN from what I have read, it is usually prolonged (months or years even) of really high BG levels which cause it I believe.
It would be worth discussing with your GP coming off the statins for a few months to see if that resolves it. Was your cholesterol really high or is the statin more a case of you being diabetic and over 40 and therefore you get a tick in the box for them?

Do you test your BG levels at home? Just wondering what sort of readings you are getting if you do and if they tie in with your HbA1c or if things are possibly changing for the better or worse? Weight loss and muscle loss/wastage can also be an indication of Type 1, (not generally pain though) and you would expect to see a much higher HbA1c than that if you were Type 1, which is why I ask about home testing and BG levels. I know my arms and thighs started to look like they belonged to someone else just after diagnosis when the weight suddenly just dropped off me. No pain though other than pins and ne

I dont check at home - I have my next check up in July . I am seeing the doctor this morning so will see what he says. thanks for replying x

My hba1c was 83, which is far higher. Reading the original post it seems mine was slightly different, as when I walked the pain went away, and came back when I sat down or lay down in bed. My pain was also lower on the thigh as well. I suspect mine was DA/PN as around two weeks after going low carb it went away, the same time my eyesight improved. (Meaning I could sleep again, which probably helped.)

My hba1c was 83, which is far higher. Reading the original post it seems mine was slightly different, as when I walked the pain went away, and came back when I sat down or lay down in bed. My pain was also lower on the thigh as well. I suspect mine was DA/PN as around two weeks after going low carb it went away, the same time my eyesight improved. (Meaning I could sleep again, which probably helped.)
Did you get medication for it ? I suspect mine could be statin related . Proper sleep really helps doesnt it x

Did you get medication for it ? I suspect mine could be statin related . Proper sleep really helps doesnt it x
No, the GP said it was just 'wear and tear' (This was before I was diagnosed as Diabetic) and when I mentioned a family history of Type 2, they ran through the usual symptoms which I wasn't seeing. It was only a few weeks later that I was told I was diabetic and started the low carb diet. The pain went away pretty much overnight - I just suddenly realised it had gone one day.

I was very stressed with work and hadn't been sleeping for a while when the pain started. At first it only hurt if I lay on it, but then it got to the point where it hurt all the time and I'd wake up in the morning in agony (I say wake up, I spent about six months not sleeping!). Very strange that it just stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back