Thief steals family car with daughter's diabetes medicine inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Belleville Police are looking for vehicle stolen from a drive-way while the owners were visiting a loved one.

But the family is losing out on more than just their car because Brenda Vernoy?s 8-year-old daughter Gracie has Juvenile Diabetes and her insulin shots were inside the stolen car.

?Without her medication, she can become very ill, very sick,? said Brenda, ?She can go into a diabetic coma without her insulin. She has to have a shot with everything she eats and it costs over $2,000 a month. I?m afraid insurance might not want to cover that again.?

http://www.kmov.com/news/crime/Thei...r-but-daughters-diabetes-shots-230374501.html

$2000 a month 😱 :(

We moan and groan about the NHS. This highlights how lucky we are.

If her medicine is that important why leave it in a car? or are they more concerned with the value?

If her medicine is that important why leave it in a car? or are they more concerned with the value?

I'd be interested to know if there was her entire supply of insulin in the car (and why would it be?), or just her pen or something.

I think they tend to get it in 'lumps' - several months supply at a time, rather than having to have 30 days worth at a time, as the NHS would like us all to do with every drug etc they prescribe (you know - in case we recover before we use it all and so it's wasted!)

It could have included all her strips and so forth and it was probably in a nice big bag, or a nice big box.

I will say that for the guys who stole a colleagues firm's car - they left his briefcase (mainly supplies of forms etc) inside someone's front gate before they joyrode the car into a lamp-post elsewhere!

I think they tend to get it in 'lumps' - several months supply at a time, rather than having to have 30 days worth at a time, as the NHS would like us all to do with every drug etc they prescribe (you know - in case we recover before we use it all and so it's wasted!)

It could have included all her strips and so forth and it was probably in a nice big bag, or a nice big box.

I will say that for the guys who stole a colleagues firm's car - they left his briefcase (mainly supplies of forms etc) inside someone's front gate before they joyrode the car into a lamp-post elsewhere!
The little girl is only 8. They were checking on a sick lived one and they were gonna be in and out.Her mom did not realize she fixed to grab it.With 3 kids sometimes you have your hands full and they stopped there on the way home from the pharmacy so the bag was also in the car.It only took a few minutes for the robbery to happen.It is just a shame how this happened at the very beginning of diabetes awareness month.And even more upsetting that the family now has no transportation to get her daughter back and forth to doctor appointments .It is so close to Christmas and her daughter's birthday this family can't afford to just go out and buy a car.

Barnes677 said:
The little girl is only 8. They were checking on a sick lived one and they were gonna be in and out.Her mom did not realize she fixed to grab it.With 3 kids sometimes you have your hands full and they stopped there on the way home from the pharmacy so the bag was also in the car.It only took a few minutes for the robbery to happen.It is just a shame how this happened at the very beginning of diabetes awareness month.And even more upsetting that the family now has no transportation to get her daughter back and forth to doctor appointments .It is so close to Christmas and her daughter's birthday this family can't afford to just go out and buy a car.

Thank you for clarifying the details 🙂

Last edited:
Hopefully their car insurance will cover the stolen vehicle (though you never get enough to replace like for like). But losing the diabetes stuff is a nightmare. Hope someone charitable comes forward to help them or the thieves dump the diabetes stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back