These gave me an idea for a biscuit

s'nic

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I bought a pack of these Fruit & Seed Oatcakes to try today and a look at the ingredients gave me an idea.
Wholegrain Oats (68%), Currants (12%), Demerara Sugar, Sustainable Palm Fruit Oil, Brown Flaxseed (6%), Raising Agent: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sea Salt.

Knowing ingredients are listed as highest amount first and assuming these would have very little raising agent. Then call 1% 1gram ...
68g oats
12g currants
? brown sugar ............ lets assume 6g as it's not less than 6
? palm fruit oil ............ lets assume 6g as it's not less than 6
6g brown flaxseeds
? raising agent
? salt............ lets assume a total of 2g raising agent plus salt = 100g (100%)

So now I have a recipe to play with
I plan to substitute palm oil for a nut butter (I use almond at the moment, so I'd use that)
and maybe substitute the flax seeds, or part of the oats for flour to make them more biscuity
then of course since 100g is too little total ingredients, just multiply by 3 or 4 (not decided at the moment).

My aim being a reasonably low carb biscuit, and since it's for me, low cholesterol as well.
Any thoughts folks? I'll see how I feel tomorrow, and may try then

Go for it and see what you get!!!!

Ok, when compared to Nairns Fruit & Seed Oatcakes, the result of my first recipe is
lower in: carbs, sugar, sat fats, salt
almost same fibre (9 per 100g)
higher in: total fat and protein

So not a bad result, the higher total fat was due to the almond butter and pecans I put in.
I'm already planning a slight change of direction to a carrot cake style biscuit, but without the icing, reducing the pecans a bit, and I may remove the flour. This will reduce the total fat (tho it will still be higher) and bring carbs a bit lower.

Here's the recipe I created and the finished result. They are definitely softer than the bought oatcake which is extremely hard and crisp.
126g oat bran
90g Almond butter
42g plain flour
40g raisins
40g pecans
25g soft dark brown sugar
20g Flax Seed, milled
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp mixed spice
0.5 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp Milk, Arla Bob, Skimmed (added as mix was too dry)
small sprinkle salt

Attachments

• cookies mk1.jpg
    cookies mk1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 11
They look really nice. It looks like the recipe made 24 biscuits. Is that right?

Interesting idea. The obvious swap for me would be the skimmed milk for oatmilk. But I'd ideally swap out almond butter for a peanut butter/peanut butter powder mix, and swap out aome of the flour for almond flour. Is there any reason these swaps might cause problems?

They look really nice. It looks like the recipe made 24 biscuits. Is that right?
Yes, but the biscuits need tweaking a bit (this was an experimental batch) I plan to move to next testing stage once I've eaten them all.
- they lack sweetness, to increase sweetness without increasing sugar I plan to use a blender to blitz at least half the raisins with some of the oat bran (to help prevent the raisins from sticking in the blender, and also to give the blender more to work with)
- second fix will be to flatten them out a bit more. This lot were quite thick, and ended up rather dense, and only had a crunch around the edges.
- I'm thinking I may just omit the flour as well
btw I chopped up the pecans a bit to spread them out, I may halve any particularly large raisins as well to spread them further.

Since they are close to having a carrot cake vibe I plan to include grated carrot in the next test batch, and make them flatter to try ensure they get a bit of a crisp to them.

I think the mix will need to be a touch wetter to allow me to flatten them out sufficiently. But that kinda fits in with using the flax as a flax egg to help bind the ingredients (it seems a flax egg is normally 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water.)

Last edited:
Interesting idea. The obvious swap for me would be the skimmed milk for oatmilk. But I'd ideally swap out almond butter for a peanut butter/peanut butter powder mix, and swap out aome of the flour for almond flour. Is there any reason these swaps might cause problems?
Being prediabetic but trying to keep on top of cholesterol I just use Arla Bob milk, But I'm sure oatmilk will work too.
I'm sure almond flour and peanut butter would be fine

As a direct comparison (for my personal choices) the same brand in peanut butter has higher saturated fats and carbs (lower total fats and fibre).

@beating_my_betes @silver minion
Bear in mind it's an experimental recipe atm, so feel free to make whatever changes you want to and afterwards post results / ideas for improvements

Being prediabetic but trying to keep on top of cholesterol I just use Arla Bob milk, But I'm sure oatmilk will work too.
I'm sure almond flour and peanut butter would be fine

As a direct comparison (for my personal choices) the same brand in peanut butter has higher saturated fats and carbs (lower total fats and fibre).

@beating_my_betes @silver minion
Bear in mind it's an experimental recipe atm, so feel free to make whatever changes you want to and afterwards post results / ideas for improvements
Thanks! While I am certainly interested in keeping on top of saturated fat, my preferred diet contains so little that I can indulge. But I'd be quite happy to reduce the fat to close to negligible if I could get it to work. I guess I could experiment with the ratios of peanut butter to peanut butter powder.

Oatmilk seems like it would be a great idea for cholesterol concerns, no?

Either way, I don't have access to an oven at the moment, so it'll have to wait.

P.S. If you soak the raisins and cinnamon overnight, along with whatever liquid you'll be using, the sweetness and spice will permeate through the whole soak while rehydrating the raisins.

Back