Theres an elephant in my living room..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
This was posted on the childrens forum about diagnosis - i was going to post it on the 'parents' section - but then i realised that it can apply to those who are actually diagnosed. Bev

A while ago, an elephant moved into my living room.

This is the story of my reaction then, and now:

" Oh no! What the heck is that?!?!? Is that an elephant? What is it doing in my living room?! That doesnt belong here! I want it out! My living room isnt big enough for that thing. It's making an awful mess!

Whats that? I have to take care of it? I don't know the first thing about elephant care. No one in my family has an elephant in their living room.

Ok, to be honest, Im afraid of it, I dont know if I can take care of it properly. What if I screw it up? what if I fail?
Can I run away from it for awhile and think about things?

Oh, there's others with elephants in their living rooms too? So they would understand right? Even when others dont.
And there's books on elephant care? Thats good I like to read

Ok then all right, I'll do my best to take good care of it. When will it leave?
What do you mean you dont know?!

Ok so I have to take real good care of it and you dont know when it will leave?

Dr Faustman? Whos she? Will she be able to make it leave my living room?
Well at least someones working on that, thats a comfort.

Today:

The elephant is still there in the living room. Most days it stays over in the corner, quiet, leaving us plenty of room to live our lives around it. Some days it will try to lumber out in the middle of the room and get in the way. I just give it some extra attention and then gently shove it back there where it belongs.

Elephant, I may have to accept your being in my living room but I dont have to like it or you.

Just stay out of my boys way, he has lots of plans and dreams and you will never be allowed to get in the way of them.

I like it.

Bev, I would describe mine as more of "a zoo" 🙂

I like it, bit like the dreaded D living quietly to one side while we are controling it...

Thanks to QI, one of my favourite sayings is "Elephant in the Room" which I didn't fully understand til I looked it up.

I like the article.

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back