Therapy needed. Current and underlying issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Takes me a lot to write this post.

Today I managed to attend my annual checkup appointment for a kidney donation to brother. The last 2 attempts at making this appointment failed due to me having panic attacks on the journey to the hospital.

Ever since being diagnosed with type 1 (1 year after kidney donation) I’ve suffered really bad with health anxiety.

Today I learnt I have high blood pressure and they want me to start tablets. I made them aware my mental state is really bad and I need help - which someone is mental to be contacting me.

I’m close to jacking in my business of 20 years to sort my self out.

My question is who else can I speak to quickly to sort my head out?

Obviously posting this here will help I hope.

Hi guys. Takes me a lot to write this post.

Today I managed to attend my annual checkup appointment for a kidney donation to brother. The last 2 attempts at making this appointment failed due to me having panic attacks on the journey to the hospital.

Ever since being diagnosed with type 1 (1 year after kidney donation) I’ve suffered really bad with health anxiety.

Today I learnt I have high blood pressure and they want me to start tablets. I made them aware my mental state is really bad and I need help - which someone is mental to be contacting me.

I’m close to jacking in my business of 20 years to sort my self out.

My question is who else can I speak to quickly to sort my head out?

Obviously posting this here will help I hope.
Sorry to hear things are getting on top of you.
You could try the support offered by SCOPE. https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/manage-mental-health/

Hi Jimmy and welcome
I don't have any experience to call upon, but you might find some info on here - and there is a 24-hour helpline available for those in need. Sorry it is not as personal a reply as I'd prefer to give you, but I will keep you in my thoughts.
My son suffers from anxiety attacks so I understand about panic attacks and the quick changes of plans, cancellations and an inability to leave the house, even the disabling physical symptoms that can occur. Don't beat yourself up, it is a pain, but it is not simple to control x

Last edited:
Hi Jimmy2202, glad you've reached out to the community.

I suffered with heath anxiety following a major health issue so I can relate to your post.

You mentioned that the hospital will be getting in touch but I wonder if you've been able to speak with your GP? They sometimes have some local options of support that differ from what general hospitals are aware of.

Mind also have a list of contacts that may be helpful and you can always call the Samaritans for a listening ear on 116 123 in the mean time. https://www.mind.org.uk/information...ms/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/useful-contacts/.

We also have a useful handout re anxiety and diabetes that may help https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2019-03/0526%20Diabetes%20UK%20HCP_Anxiety_P3.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiay8j8_IH4AhXaMMAKHSiCA8MQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw30GyvxJ7w1QorZp021OyZi.

Although it may not feel like it now, from my experience, health anxiety does seem to get better with time as your health improves / settles down. Your body/mind is having a very natural response being overwhelmed by the medical issues you've faced and is trying to keep you alert in case something goes wrong.

Please do keep reaching out on the forum and asking as many questions as you may have either here or via our helpline on 0345 123 2399. We're right here to support you every step of the way.

Thanks for reply’s guys I shall follow the suggestions up.

A chilled relaxing weekend for once is on the cards with plenty of healthy food I think 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back