Theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi

Someone asked what parks did the exit passes still for children with type 1. At this moment in time, I know that Chessington do not but we are working on it. The other parks in their group which I believe are :

Thorpe Park
Alton Towers
Legoland (perhaps)

They all do provide exit passes at the moment. According to Chessington they will all be changing that in the winter based on information from DUK that 80% of all diabetics are stable and provided them with a leaflet on adult type 1 and adult type 2. This was to cover all children as well !!!! Beggars believe yet again on the part of DUK. Do they now think kids get diabetes. Where were they when the recent stats were collected and published ie 23,000 type 1 children in England alone and 368 type 2 children in England. Shame on them once again !

Sorry I digress...........😉

It's utter nonsense for DUK to suggest that children are the same as adults - they are completely different. Goodness, I should know, I was once a child! Why don't they? Insulin is a hormone. Adrenalin and cortisol and glucagon are hormones. There are many other hormones, and they all have a significant effect on the way a body works and reacts -particularly if you are a growing child!!!

A day out at a theme park must be a particular treat for a small child with diabetes - who has to contend with so much each day that a non-diabetic child doesn't. It wouldn't cost these companies a fortune to give a concession, and I don't see how it could be abused if accompanied by the relevant documentation.

Give the kids a break! Let them have fun! Live a day in their shoes (or, indeed, their parents shoes!)

Adrienne, I wish you and your friends every success in educating these companies and (for goodness sake!) DUK!!!😱

Thank you very much Northerner. We are going softly softly at the moment. I happen to be going to Chessington with a group of 33 people, with the local childrens diabetes support group in September so I will damn well want some answers when I go !!! Not so softly softly if they have been bad people !!!

Oooh - should we start a petition?🙂Bev

It may well get to that again if necessary Bev, you never know. x

Well i will be on the list - and if you need help with anything let me know.🙂Bev

Thanks guys 🙂

Resurrecting an old thread but saw this article and I thought it might be of interest to those of you who are campaigning for the theme park thing, obviously not diabetes related but it may be of help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8232633.stm

Thats a realy interesting article aymes....it certainly provokes some thought.

I used to do volly work with mencap and the winged fellowship and we would always use the exit passes, with wheelchairs and people with other requirements also. We used to have such amazing times, Ive got such fond memories of it although it was a few (decades?!) years back....I cant imagine how we would have done it otherwise. Its such an important topic.

Um... I've had Type 1 since I was 3 (30 years) and have never expected to be treated differently when it comes to queuing. Surely all you need to do is make sure you carry the kid's blood testing kit, insulin and glucose tablets so that if he's queuing for a long time you have all the "tools" to deal with whatever happens?

I've been to Alton Towers and other theme parks many times and never expected to be sent through the exit door and can't really see a good reason why I should be (other than the obvious benefit of not having to queue like the non-diabetics).

Are we really trying to say that kids with Type 1 can't queue for very long?? Sorry if I've got this thread confused!

Sorry to be such a spoil sport but I totally agree with SamInnocent on this matter I was diagnosed at the age of 2 I am now 41 and have never queue jumped or had the need to, my parents and now of course myself have always had the necessary equipment close to hand to deal with any situation. And considering the equipment needed isn't enormous/heavy etc then what is the problem. Do we really want to be called diabled after all what we have is a condition.
I am sorry if I have offended anyone with my viws but then they are just my views lol

For myself as an adult I don't feel I would need the use of this, but from the mums on here they helped me understand why it's important for the kids to be able to do this.

Exactly, life is different for children and adults with type 1 diabetes - not all adults with type 1 diabetes have been through childhood with diabetes. For an experience of successful waiting (36 hours due to a glacial metlwater stream) after developing adult onset type 1 diabetes, see my post #15 on http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=3617&page=2

Thanks guys for saying these last few posts and understanding the needs sometimes for added bonus' for our children. A friend recently took her daughter to one of these parks and this child is normally fairly ok with levels apparently. She was hypo upon arrival due to excitment, they battled hypos and hypers all day long and it was purely down to excitment and adrenalin. They also had the exit passes. Can you imagine their day without the passes. They have the same rights as everyone else to have a great day out and the planning and preparation and heavy bags that go into a day out is so much above and beyond a family without a child with diabetes.

I will be totally honest here and no doubt upset a few people, for which I apologise in advance but I find myself increasingly having to justify how parents today deal with their children's diabetes as it is different to when they were kids. I really want to shout out loud about this as I am so frustrated (sorry very tired, my daughter hit 29.0 last night for no reason so was awake for hours from 2 am trying to bring her down!). Diabetes care today is so very very very very vastly different than 20 odd years ago. We have glucometers now, we have MDI, we have pumps, we have different carb counting, we know what foods do, what exercise does (ie send you up instead of down if you are roughly above 14.0) what adrenaline does. The info at our fingertips is so much more involved and we can therefore try to have much tighter control with our children. This includes planning extensively for days out to keep this tighter control. These queues can be 2 hours long and on a hot day with adrenaline, levels go up, the toilet is needed so you leave the line. What happens then, you join the back again!

I won't apologise any longer for wanting my child to live a normal length of life and to not have the complications that could possibly happen. I want to to be as normal as she can like her friends and like me.

Sorry if I sound shirty but I'm knackered and got all sentimental when I read the messages sticking up for us mums which means so much to me. :(

I really want to shout out loud about this as I am so frustrated (sorry very tired, my daughter hit 29.0 last night for no reason so was awake for hours from 2 am trying to bring her down!).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if I sound shirty but I'm knackered and got all sentimental when I read the messages sticking up for us mums which means so much to me. :(

Hi Adrienne, hope she is ok now after that shocker? Hope you can both catch up on your sleep too! These things just happen don't they, I've been battling hypos for weeks now and hardly had a reading above 7 recently but then today suddenly hit 21!

Sorry, wasn't trying to resurrect the thread so you had to defend yourself again! Just saw the article and hoped it might be useful! Hope everything you've been working on in this respect is going well?

Hi Adrienne, hope she is ok now after that shocker? Hope you can both catch up on your sleep too! These things just happen don't they, I've been battling hypos for weeks now and hardly had a reading above 7 recently but then today suddenly hit 21!

Sorry, wasn't trying to resurrect the thread so you had to defend yourself again! Just saw the article and hoped it might be useful! Hope everything you've been working on in this respect is going well?

Hi Aymes

No need to apologise. Just feeling particularly touchy, not like me normally.

Jessica is fine now, just tired. We are back at school tomorrow so up early, must go to bed in a minute.

The article was helpful, I have sent it to the UK Children with Advocacy Group's main man (or woman in this instance) to see if we can use it to fight our case. People have been avoiding Chessington and going to Thorpe Park instead as they still issue the exit passes and people have such a more stress free day, it just takes away that extra stress that is unnecessary.

Thanks

Thanks guys for saying these last few posts and understanding the needs sometimes for added bonus' for our children. A friend recently took her daughter to one of these parks and this child is normally fairly ok with levels apparently. She was hypo upon arrival due to excitment, they battled hypos and hypers all day long and it was purely down to excitment and adrenalin. They also had the exit passes. Can you imagine their day without the passes. They have the same rights as everyone else to have a great day out and the planning and preparation and heavy bags that go into a day out is so much above and beyond a family without a child with diabetes.

I will be totally honest here and no doubt upset a few people, for which I apologise in advance but I find myself increasingly having to justify how parents today deal with their children's diabetes as it is different to when they were kids. I really want to shout out loud about this as I am so frustrated (sorry very tired, my daughter hit 29.0 last night for no reason so was awake for hours from 2 am trying to bring her down!). Diabetes care today is so very very very very vastly different than 20 odd years ago. We have glucometers now, we have MDI, we have pumps, we have different carb counting, we know what foods do, what exercise does (ie send you up instead of down if you are roughly above 14.0) what adrenaline does. The info at our fingertips is so much more involved and we can therefore try to have much tighter control with our children. This includes planning extensively for days out to keep this tighter control. These queues can be 2 hours long and on a hot day with adrenaline, levels go up, the toilet is needed so you leave the line. What happens then, you join the back again!

Understood, but was it really so easy all those years ago? Consider this: We didn't have disposable syringes, just glass ones with replaceable needles. Before giving an injection my mum had to sterilise the needle and syringe. Try doing that whilst at a theme park!

We didn't have blood glucose monitors. No, we had urine testing tablets which needed the urine to be put in a test tube, then a tablet dropped into it and the colour matched to a chart to work out roughly how high or how low you were. Again, try doing that whilst at a theme park.

Things improved a little when urine tests could be done using testing strips instead of the test tubes and tablets but again, it would require you to go to the toilet to do the test. I don't see how blood testing makes things more difficult when it can be done anywhere and at any time (including whilst standing in a queue).

Fair enough, kids these days tend to have tighter control and have to test more often to achieve this. Really though, would you want to go back to how it was 20 years+ ago? I know I wouldn't. Your kids have more chance of living a long and healthy life BECAUSE of the new testing kits and insulin regimes and, granted they have to do more diabetes-stuff because of it, but I know I'd rather put up with that than go back to glass syringes and test tubes!

With queueing, how are your kids going to cope with places which don't have exit passes? If you ever take them to a cinema on a film's release day, or to santa's grotto at christmas time, how do you deal with that, or do you just not bother? I'd test before joining the queue and, if high then take a trip to the toilet before joining it and, depending how high I am give myself a correction dose. If low, I'd join the queue and have a snack that I took with me from my bag whilst moving along with the queue. Glucose tablets are small so can fit in a pocket if necessary.

I won't apologise any longer for wanting my child to live a normal length of life and to not have the complications that could possibly happen. I want to to be as normal as she can like her friends and like me.

Giving kids with diabetes exit passes will make life easier in the short term, but won't give them the ability to cope and adapt to life in the "real world".

Apologies if this upsets you, but this is just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it! 🙂

Last edited:
Hi

Once again someone has mis interpreted what I said totally. SamInnocent, your first sentence says it all 'Understood, but was it really so easy all those years ago?'

Never once in any of my messages have I ever ever said it is more difficult today or it was easier all those years ago. I think it was harder for parents (and I can only speak as a parent not as a person with diabetes) back then. There was a lack of info compared to today and in 20 years time in the future they will look back at us now and think the same. I have never said your parents had it easy. I think it must have been absolutely horrendous and I do not envy what parents had to go through emotionally not knowing levels, having to use the implements they had.

There is nothing wrong with making life easier for our kids and if that means exit passes then fine. When they are adults they no doubt won't want to go to these parks unless they have kids themselves. As adults they will have totally responsibility for themselves and will know how to deal with things themselves ie what works for a hypo etc etc. As the parents we will do what we can to help them, as your parents did.

Please don't criticise me or my friends, we are trying the best for our kids with the tools we are given in the 21st century just as your parents did in the 20th century.

Our kids are not disabled as someone suggested and we do not think of them as disabled and neither do our kids but the fact is that diabetes is deadly serious and serious enough to be totally covered under the Disability Discrimination Act so although people with or involved with diabetes do not think is is a disability, it is covered under the Act which is an aide to helping us live a normal life.

Your opinions are fine, these are mine. Please however, do not mis interpret what I have written. Diabetes is not easy, now, in the future, or in the past and I have never said otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back