the 'un-educated'

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanW81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i found this quite amusing, not really sure in what way, maybe a suprised way?

today at work a guy had brought in some indian sweets and asked me to try them, he said they were very, very sugery, so i said no. later on i thought id have one with my lunch, so went and eat it (it was horrible btw!) and then he said, "there you go, told u it was very sugery. you can just keep eating these sweets from now on, no need to take those injections anymore".

When i put him straight that it is the other way round, i would need to take them even more if i carried on eating his sweets, he couldnt believe it! All along he thought that i was taking them to increase my sugar, not to lower it!

guess it shows still how little people who dont have to worry about it actually know about, suprised me a bit

Gosh Dan yes thats the way people think i guess if they dont have diabetes to worry about, the amount of times I have had to tell some one usually within my family no i cant have that or no i best not it aint for me, my other halves mum was the worse she thought i could get away with just eating the diabetic choccie all the time and thinking it would be good for me.

There are two things that constantly amaze me.

The first is that many people think it is "sugar diabetes". They seem to think eating some chocolate (for a hypo) is comparable to a suicide attempt! Then they often cannot understand that we are talking carbohydrates and have to limit bread, potatoes, fruit, etc.

The second is that twice recently after I have injected people that should know better (long term acquaintances) cannot seem to understand that I have to eat in say 20 -30 minutes and cannot delay for a few hours.

I despair at times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back