The strangest things we eat

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The perfect breakfast: a slice of Black Pudding, with a circle of Haggis on top, topped by a soft yolked poached egg. Health food, that is. Everything a body needs, and eating that every day may turn you into one. What a great way to go:)

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Just remembered this . A cheese and pickled beetroot sarnie. I haven’t had this for ages .

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I wish I could get a decent Haggis here , rather than the runny tasteless stuff they sell here

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I buy haggis online, though at the moment I’m cooking Chinese. With, of course, ingredients bought online.
@mikeyB . Can you pm me a link for the Haggis please

Last edited:

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Id like to know too
As I said to TW further back in the post the closest thing you could use to describe it is a Scotch pie but the meat is much softer and it has onion mixed through, round my area in Scotland it's known as an onion pie but even if you travel up North some don't know what your talking about xx

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
rather than the runny tasteless stuff they sell here
new one on me, never known of a runny haggis! :eek: xx

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
new one on me, never known of a runny haggis! :eek: xx
We’ve got plenty of it here , split it open and out it pours , want some ?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We’ve got plenty of it here , split it open and out it pours , want some ?
As a Scot I think I'll have to decline your very kind offer LOL, can't imagine it to be honest haha xx

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
As a Scot I think I'll have to decline your very kind offer LOL, can't imagine it to be honest haha xx
I don’t blame you.
As a southerner who has had the real thing whilst in Scotland some years back, I can tell you I was most disappointed when I bought some here .

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Forgot to mention, selling off scottish breakfast pack in Asda last week for 40p, original price £2. Inside lorne sausage haggis black pudding & fruit pudding, never fancied idea of fruit pudding with full scottish brekkie but thought what the hell as didn't want to waste it, surprisingly it went well & tasted delicious. Next time over border will be ordering it.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Grldtnr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I quite like a fried onion sarnie with grated cheese, another is sauted mushrooms with Worcester sauce on brown wholemeal bread, not sweet in anyway but cook onions with pinch of salt , they develop a sweetness.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oh, oh, I meant to add this yesterday, another thing I haven't eaten in years but a fried tattie piece with onions mixed through while frying and then slapped on the piece and topped with tomato sauce (just leftover mashed tatties fried) xx

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Onions are one of the few root vegetables that contain sucrose, along with beets. That’s why they go brown when you fry them, it’s the Maillard reaction. The fact that we call them caramelised onions is the giveaway.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Cold marrowfat peas butty, you have to squash 'em down with a fork or they fall off, also cold baked bean butties, same problem. In fact anything on bread including roast potatoes. I don't have anything exotic to add, I am a pleb when it comes to food. I would quite like to eat a Tate&Lyle's syrup butty but even I have to draw the line somewheres. :rolleyes:

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Just remembered this, I’ve not had this since I was a pre teen.
A Tomato ketchup sarnie .

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Ljc my dad eats salt sandwiches, 2 inch thick layer of salt at least, YUCK! xx

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm quite shocked @Kaylz :) I thought I was unshockable. :D