The rise and fall of BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just for info only really, decided to keep a progress update on here to see if there are any patterns, this is what my readings are so far for the last 2 days

1660735953137.png

That doesn't look very "diabetic". You're doing really well!

That means a lot, as I am still muddling through and not really sure what these numbers equate to. If the above was typical for the last 3 months, how much of a lower HBAC1 reading can I expect in October, it was 80 on 1st July and I am desperately trying to lower it with diet and exercise, so far not had medications but as its a progressive disease I may need them at some stage. My results from my next test will determine if I can continue managing with diet alone x

just looked at your signature and realise you have done incredibly well yourself, got from 89 to 35 by diet alone, well done you must be pleased x

just looked at your signature and realise you have done incredibly well yourself, got from 89 to 35 by diet alone, well done you must be pleased x
Yes, I can feel a bit smug about it from time to time 🙂 But plenty of folks have done the same, so not super-smug.

It's weight loss more than "diet"- eg I'm not particularly carb restricted (and fwiw I think much of the low carb message is pure woo, but whatever works, I guess).

Have you seen this kind of pic? Useful for getting a rough idea on how HbA1c might relate to BG readings:

1660745786531.png

So people often say ef that an avg daily BG level of 7.0 mmol/l (bottom line) corresponds to an HbA1c of 42 (top line). Which makes things sound more exact than they really are - actually, the relationship between avg BG levels and HbA1c levels varies widely between individuals & depends mainly on the how long on avg the individual's red blood cells live for. So it's really only a rough correlation. If everybody wore a CGM there wouldn't be any use for HbA1c - it's just a hack to get a rough estimate of BG levels in the absence of a continuous measure.

But anyway, I'd guess that your next HbA1c might not be higher than somewhere in the 40's, if the numebrs you give are typical.

Yes, I can feel a bit smug about it from time to time 🙂 But plenty of folks have done the same, so not super-smug.

It's weight loss more than "diet"- eg I'm not particularly carb restricted (and fwiw I think much of the low carb message is pure woo, but whatever works, I guess).

Have you seen this kind of pic? Useful for getting a rough idea on how HbA1c might relate to BG readings:

View attachment 21813

So people often say ef that an avg daily BG level of 7.0 mmol/l (bottom line) corresponds to an HbA1c of 42 (top line). Which makes things sound more exact than they really are - actually, the relationship between avg BG levels and HbA1c levels varies widely between individuals & depends mainly on the how long on avg the individual's red blood cells live for. So it's really only a rough correlation. If everybody wore a CGM there wouldn't be any use for HbA1c - it's just a hack to get a rough estimate of BG levels in the absence of a continuous measure.

But anyway, I'd guess that your next HbA1c might not be higher than somewhere in the 40's, if the numebrs you give are typical.
thank you so much for this information, its really helpful and informative and you have every right to feel smug with what you have achieved you are an inspiration to people like me 🙂

Just updated my chart and adding in todays readings so far
1660817005707.png

Waking levels look absolutely great.
The only thing that jumps out at me is that your after breakfast and before lunch readings yesterday are quite similar so whatever you had at breakfast perhaps continued to release glucose right up to lunchtime and you body wasn't able to bring it down as effectively as the previous day... or maybe you just weren't as active that day, but it is only a very minor point.
On the whole your readings are excellent and I am sure you will be able to pleasantly surprise (maybe even pleasantly shock) your health care professionals with your success when the results of your next HbA1c blood test come through. :D

I dropped from Hba1c of 91 to 41 in 6 months, eating 50 gm of carbs a day.
I thought that I'd try for lower and went down to 40 gm per day, and got exactly the same number after eating 3650 gm fewer carbs, so it is not an exact science.
The low carb diet does seem to work, though I think it can be disrupted by Covid. I got one higher reading, but no one bothered to tell me and by the time I found out it was a year later and I was back to normal.
Once I was consistently seeing under 8 after meals I stopped the before tests and stuck to the same foods, and my numbers then dropped to under 7 after eating, so including a different food and seeing over 8 again was a definite warning sign that it was too high in carbs to me eating in normal amounts or included at all.

Waking levels look absolutely great.
The only thing that jumps out at me is that your after breakfast and before lunch readings yesterday are quite similar so whatever you had at breakfast perhaps continued to release glucose right up to lunchtime and you body wasn't able to bring it down as effectively as the previous day... or maybe you just weren't as active that day, but it is only a very minor point.
On the whole your readings are excellent and I am sure you will be able to pleasantly surprise (maybe even pleasantly shock) your health care professionals with your success when the results of your next HbA1c blood test come through. :D
I think the problem is I have breakfast at 8 and then lunch at 12 so just 4 hours between the 2 meals, but I could be wrong, I may see what happens if I have lunch at 1.30 tomorrow to see if they come down lower.

Todays full picture is below - I have had a long dog walk this evening popped to the pub and had a slimline gin and tonic on the way back, just took my bedtime reading and its 5.8 so happy with this

1660849238780.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back