The pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacredgirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ive never been on the pump and know near to nothing about it. i was wondering if someone could give me more information about?

Best place to find out about the different pumps available and more about pump therapy is here www.input.me.uk

You've got to be careful when reading the manufactures blurb because they do make it all sound like pumps are plug and play items which bolus wizards etc..

But they are only has good as the user though, as you have to do a lot of testing to set them up, basal testing, then carb/insulin ratios to set up your wizard so hard work getting up and running, but worth the effort of doing it all though..

But take a look at the Input website hopefully it will give you a better idea, and any other questions about pumping we'll all be more than happy to help

yeah my doctors have given me information, but the reality of knowing how it feels to use it can only come from people who actually use it, so id rather hear from them than a website if you get me?

Well try reading the recent threads from eg HyperSuze where she's been asking a lot of questions!

If you can think of questions like that, then you'll get loads of helpful answers!

ah right...

For me pumping is the best thing I ever done, it only took a day or two to get used to wearing it. And it has passed the hassle of working in dog kennels where I once had a rather hefty male staffie catch his back paw in the tubing, stretching it because my infusion set stayed in situation and my pump remained attached to my waistband..

Control wise I've gone from having a really hard time with 2-4 hypos a day, with high end management to the odd hypo's and for me a lower management daily input (once I got my pump set up) and tight control.. Which has now reversed the damage that had been done to my kidneys.

I've been very lucky with infusion sets, as I still use the first type of sets I picked out, never having many problems with them, and in almost 4 years of pumping I've only had one kinked cannula, but I'm sure a lot of this is down to I self insert..

One of the best things I find about pumping, I can use it both in a pro-active way, but if needs be I can use it in a reactive way, so changes in plans at the last minute doesn't pose any problems unlike pre-pump days where it would end up as a complete nightmare as I struggled..

The pump for me has made a lot of difference to my quality of life, I've gone from struggling on a daily bases, always exhausted by constant daily hypo's, management levels and I looked pretty ill most of the time... Now I'm a completely different person..

Best advice I can really give, if your team is offering a pump try it, if you don't like it then you can always give it back, but I only know of a odd one or two that have actually given their back..

Ive never been on the pump and know near to nothing about it. i was wondering if someone could give me more information about?

If you'd asked me a year and a half ago I would have said they were not for me. And yet here I am wearing one!

I had lingering pump-aversion right to the end, but I realised that the subtlety of delivery possible on a pump was worth a try. So far I love it. Comfortable, very easy and providing pretty good results even in these first few weeks.

There are a few posts on our blog (link below) use the tag 'insulin pumps' to find them if you are interested 🙂

Have had my pump over 2years now & would not be without it. Did you read article northy did on artificial pancreace a couple of weeks ago! Pump & sencer !

yeah my doctors have given me information, but the reality of knowing how it feels to use it can only come from people who actually use it, so id rather hear from them than a website if you get me?
Heya, I am 'going through the motions' at the minute when it comes to all things pump therapy...my only concern/hang up was the idea of something technological attached ALL the time, while sleeping, while exercising(barr swimming:D).
Last week, I had a CGM(continous Glucose Monitor) attached to my arm. It bluetooths blood results every 3mins and HONESTLY, it is the best way to 'see how you feel' about equipment being on you all the time. Personally for me, within 20mins I had completely forgot it was on me...until I bumped into a doorframe(should get off the whisky!)
I find out my fate of a pump this thursday! But yep, as TW has said, I have asked a whole ruck of questions which I am sure I have annoyed the heck outta these guys and guyettes, but, the fab troopers they are have answered me and humoured me! I promise to stop asking things VERY soon! (fingers crossed!) Have a looksy at my questions and they may answer some questions you have at the same time! Good luck!

Don't be daft Suze! - when you get the thing is when the questions really START! LOL

Ooer, what was this knob for?

I wouldnt be without my pump now , i have had the pump for 14 months , i have had diabetes for 31 years and my HBA1c has always been in double figures , since going on the pump my HBA1c is now in the 6's speaks for its self really :D

mebbies i'll give it a go at the start of the new year. seems a good time i think! thanks for all the advice 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back