The psychological aspects of hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdwatcher

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have had Type 1 diabetes for 48 years now and the symptoms of hypos have changed a lot during this time. When I was young they showed all the classical symptoms, such as sweating, problems with eyesight etc. Now all that is left are psychological symptoms like sudden depressive mood and lately also aggressive state of mind. I am ashamed of these, as my fellow companions cannot know what is going on as I otherwise look quite normal - or as usual as possible ( I am not sure if I am subnormal ). I have yelled to my boss and raged in traffic,sigh…. Lately I have had a trend of avoiding people and spending more time alone. I would appreciate your reflections upon this topic.

Are you spending time hypo without realising it to be having these times of behaving this way to others? Or is this happening after you treat the hypo?

What are your libre alarms set to and what level of bg are you feeling the hypos at?

Thi has me thinking that even though I am only 4.5 years down the line with this, I have changed from being a bit "pathetic" during those early hypos, when I found them scary, to being a bit frustrated and perhaps yes short tempered now. Thankfully I do still get other hypo signs like vision distortion and tingly lips and occasionally jelly legs and sweating but I don't feel anxious or frightened anymore, just irritated and frustrated and because I can't function as normal, I get cross. I spend a lot of my time on my own, but I will occasionally be short tempered with my partner and say something harsh and if I am with my horses, I get cross if the don't behave perfectly.... and animals seldom do. Looking at it like that it makes me wonder if this situation will escalate and I will become more grumpy and maybe even aggressive. Of course the answer is probably to avoid having hypos as much as possible but easier said than done!

Hello.

From my perspective. I’m more likely to want my own space when high. My partner broached “intimacy” the other night. No problem with performance. Just needed my own space. Sorry love.just take a look at my graph right now.
But hypos have changed for me since the “porcine years.” More subtle but I can still spot them. I use a sensor too, used like a CGM that has the habit of an advanced warning for me. Lessens the impact. Though outward symptoms to others from feedback say I look disinterested? I still have to respond to an alarm.
Are you “subnormal?” No. I was attacked once by a hypoglycaemic type one whilst trying to help.

The brain goes into survival instinct. During a hypo a the “threat” is real.
I’m more likely to “play possum.” Go quiet and hope a “predator” don’t notice me.?

Are you spending time hypo without realising it to be having these times of behaving this way to others? Or is this happening after you treat the hypo?

What are your libre alarms set to and what level of bg are you feeling the hypos at

What are your libre alarms set to and what level of bg are you feeling the hypos at?
Hi,

It seems to take a long time after eating glucose before my blood sugar gets higher. Maybe I should try whether orange juice would act faster. My libre alarms are set to 3.9 and 10.1. I am rather reluctant to raise the lower limit, as the sensor readings for me are very much lower than the actual blood glucose even when stable. I want to protect my veins from the ill effects of high glucose, especially eys because of maculopathy in the left eye. I admit that I am more at the lower side than high.

Do you chew your hypo treatment really well? Glucose will absorb faster through the cells in your mouth than your stomach and your mouth is closer to your brain so that glucose gets there faster if you take time to chew well and swish around your mouth, than a couple of quick chews and swallow it down. Worth considering even if you swap to orange juice instead. Glugging it down may not be the best option to treat your hypo promptly.

Hi,

It seems to take a long time after eating glucose before my blood sugar gets higher. Maybe I should try whether orange juice would act faster. My libre alarms are set to 3.9 and 10.1. I am rather reluctant to raise the lower limit, as the sensor readings for me are very much lower than the actual blood glucose even when stable. I want to protect my veins from the ill effects of high glucose, especially eys because of maculopathy in the left eye. I admit that I am more at the lower side than high.
Do you judge your recovery by the Libre or finger pricks?
Due to the way that Libre "predicts" the current BG value from Interstitial Fluid which is 15 minutes behind BG, it is important to always check hypo recovery with a finger prick.
The Libre algorithm will extend the current trend making it appear that the hypo lasts longer and goes "deeper"

Hi,

If your sensor is reading consistently lower than you actually are, it’s best to get it replaced. I found the Libre often read low for the first 24-48hrs and then improved. Could you get a CGM? I find Dexcom hugely more accurate than the Libre. Others find different Flash GMsor CGMs work best for them as individuals. Even with my very accurate Dexcom, I always set the Low alarm higher than 3.9. The idea is to ward off hypos and it’s easier to do that if the Low alarm is set higher. It also means you often only need a little amount of glucose/Coke.

I use Coke (real branded Coke with sugar) to treat hypos. It works faster than Dextro glucose tablets. I think it’s the fact it’s liquid. Lift also make a glucose shot that works fast too.

Thanks for all the tips! I shall try those which are suitable. Unfortunately I must rely on the equipment which our healthcare system provides. For example, I have not heard about Dexcom and whether it is available here. I would guess not, because they stick to one brand at a time ( they put out to tender in order to get lowest price). Would you please tell me more about Dexcom.

Do you judge your recovery by the Libre or finger pricks?
Due to the way that Libre "predicts" the current BG value from Interstitial Fluid which is 15 minutes behind BG, it is important to always check hypo recovery with a finger prick.
The Libre algorithm will extend the current trend making it appear that the hypo lasts longer and goes "deeper"
I do allow time for my blood glucosevlevel rise to avoid overeating and subsequent high overreactive glucose level. Unfortunately I have mild gastroparesis which is the main reason for this problem.

If your sensor is reading consistently lower than you actually are, it’s best to get it replaced. I found the Libre often read low for the first 24-48hrs and then improved. Could you get a CGM? I find Dexcom hugely more accurate than the Libre. Others find different Flash GMsor CGMs work best for them as individuals. Even with my very accurate Dexcom, I always set the Low alarm higher than 3.9. The idea is to ward off hypos and it’s easier to do that if the Low alarm is set higher. It also means you often only need a little amount of glucose/Coke.

I use Coke (real branded Coke with sugar) to treat hypos. It works faster than Dextro glucose tablets. I think it’s the fact it’s liquid. Lift also make a glucose shot that works fast too.
Post in thread 'The psychological aspects of hypos'
http://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/the-psychological-aspects-of-hypos.107028/post-1272445

I have my low alerts set to 4.9 during day when i have fast acting insulin on board, lower at night when only long acting. 3.9 means you are hypo before it alerts so no chance to head the hypo off with a small nibble of glucose.
I agree liquids are quicker than glucose tablets.
I have a dexcom g6. Its great. Pretty much always spot on. They are not necessarily easy to get hold of as more expensive than libre, but for me g6 is excellent...i even use it gor treatment decisions...and the science says you can too. Would NEVER do that with libre, and libre tell you not to either..always confirm with finger sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back