The Pancreas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwoman76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I saw my eye doctor this morning he asked how my blood sugars were, I told him about my bad hypo's in the spring and I told him about my dream of my pancreas working again and this is why I had hypo's ( too much insulin) he said he didn't know personally of anyone's pancreas working again, but he did read about it (maybe the Lancet?) and says it is very rare, so it made me think if any of you have heard of this rare condition.Sheena

Not sure about full recovery, but I reckon my pancreas is certainly coping better than in the first few months after diagnosis. I've been diagnosed just over two years and for the first 10 months I was on 20 lantus and about 40-45 novorapid. Today I am on 5 lantus and 25 novorapid. My theory is that my pancreas has recovered to the extent that it can cope, with a little bit of lantus help, with a lot of my background/liver glucose plus maybe some of my meal glucose - although it needs quite a lot of assistance for meals. My basal is only 20% of my total, whereas the 'norm' is around 40-50%.

I think that some of the Joslin 50 year medalists have been shown to have some insulin production, decades after their Type 1 diagnosis, so I would imagine it's possible that insulin production can occasionally increase for a while.

When I saw my eye doctor this morning he asked how my blood sugars were, I told him about my bad hypo's in the spring and I told him about my dream of my pancreas working again and this is why I had hypo's ( too much insulin) he said he didn't know personally of anyone's pancreas working again, but he did read about it (maybe the Lancet?) and says it is very rare, so it made me think if any of you have heard of this rare condition.Sheena

I haven't heard of this but i'm liking like the sound of it....gives us hope!!! I am such a cynic....are you pregnant 😉 ??? There seems to be a boom at the mo and a reason for low blood sugars...teeheeeee

Bernie xx

I haven't heard of this but i'm liking like the sound of it....gives us hope!!! I am such a cynic....are you pregnant 😉 ??? There seems to be a boom at the mo and a reason for low blood sugars...teeheeeee

Bernie xx

Thought you were talking to me for a minute there! 😱 😉

Bernie xx

Er no (laughing) I am not pregnant. I haven't been near a man for many years(still laughing)😛🙂:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back