The NHS crisis is a national emergency, not a political opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Anyone who went near an A&E department over Christmas could have told you how bad things are in the NHS, even before this crisis erupted this week. Official figures showing the worst-ever performance for treating people in casualty, and the growing toll of hospitals declaring major incidents because of a lack of beds, would have come as little surprise to those patients and their families going through it over the past month.

Last week, a relative of mine was admitted to A&E with a serious illness. The scene described to me, as he arrived by ambulance, was more like a field hospital rather than a 21st-century acute ward, with patients on trolleys lining corridors and a sense of continual incoming chaos. One doctor treating my relative was herself recovering from pneumonia yet had come in to help. This hospital, I should point out, is not one of the 15 which have so far declared a major or serious incident, with ambulances queuing outside, but is supposedly one of the better-performing ones.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ency-not-a-political-opportunity-9963517.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back