The new best things ive done for my Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennywren

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Im a type 1 diabetic and have been for 30 years since i was 10 , This year i finally realised i had to get a grip and signed up for a Dafne course and then by doing this i fitted the criteria for a pump and got my pump 4 months after that , the improvement just keeps getting better and better 🙂

All sounds really good jen sometimes we forget having diabetes is not all negative...hope you gained loads from the course, im a type 2 so did a diffirent course to you called x-pert and that was so good for me i gained a load of new information from it and i still refer to the hand books i was given even now..x

I think among the positives of being diabetic (type 1 or type 2) is we are so much more aware of how our bodies work and what we have to do to keep it healthy.

Any one thinking about doing any course in self management, I'd say go for it, you will gain knowldege and make friends and be better for it. It is also helpful for people like Jenny working towards a pump. I hope things improve as much for everyone.

Im a type 1 diabetic and have been for 30 years since i was 10 , This year i finally realised i had to get a grip and signed up for a Dafne course and then by doing this i fitted the criteria for a pump and got my pump 4 months after that , the improvement just keeps getting better and better 🙂

Good stuff, not a pump user myself, but certainly the DAFNE course is worth its weight in gold! I've had type 1 for 28 years, and like you have the best control now than I ever did, this can be put down to much better insulin's, testing equipment and the availability of carb counting courses, but lets not forget also that you have to want to improve things, and the realisation that we are getting older and have had diabetes a long time is motivation enough to want to improve our well-being. Toby.

I've also done the DAFNE course brillient..

My consultant was a tad hestient as I was already carb counting, but I did still gain a lot indeed... But no regrets to the money I lost attending or that it almost cost me my Job to go, my then manager wouldn't let me have leave to attend😱 My reply I'm going so won't be in work, sack me if you want but I see you in court unfair dismissal! Make my day lol

I went lost a weeks wage and returned to work the following Monday morning as usual🙄

Jenny I've never looked back since starting on my pump, and I suspect you'll be the same about yours once you've settled.. It can be a bit bumpy to start with as you rethink some of the control methods to get them to suit you, pining the basal down can be a pain but it's all worth the hassel and work involved...

P.S

BM (baby muppet) even understood the theroy when she had to attend the 6 week DAFNE follow up meeting with me (I had to pick her up, but didn't have time to do drop her home) Mind you she wasn't impressed When Tim thought it was a brillient idea to test a mars bar theory on her, by finger prickering before she ate one, then at an hour then 2 hours, to see what happened to a non-diabetic sugar level LOL

Last edited:
Best things I've done since getting diabetes - finally getting round to competing in mountain marathons (2 so far), adventure races (several), working in Antarctica (had to be voluntary work on a youth expedition) and marshalling at loads more MMs, ARs, triathlons etc. Admittedly, adventure racing barely existed in 1996 when I was diagnosed, so couldn't really have done it before.
However, doing these things wouldn't be possible without modern insulin regimes, pen devives, compact blood glucose meters and skill to use them. Still haven't got on a DAFNE course, but now on list for evening meeting.

Hi,

I haven't been offered any courses, so have taken the bull by the horns myself and now I look very carefuly at what I eat and read all the nutritional (?) guides on evrything I buy! But I think the best thing I have done recently is to start Tai Chi, seems to be really good for me so that can't be bad can it?

Anywho, take care all, Shirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back