The Mystery of the Late-Night Plummet ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheClockworkDodo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
... or, The Riddle of the Disappearing Blood Sugar 😱
featuring the random delayed reactions and the incredible 12-year honeymoon!

Anyone fancy themselves as a detective? Get yourself a cup of tea, I have a puzzle you might be able to solve ...

The documents in the case:

Thursday 19 January
19.31pm 5.6 libre, 5.7 meter - injected 7u Novorapid, ate risotto followed by fruit yogurt and a few raisins (counted).
I always inject extra for rice as it spikes me, so it's easier to inject an extra unit to prevent the spike and then eat a hobnob a couple of hours later to prevent a hypo.
20.33pm 4.7 libre - surprisingly low (normally go up to 9 or 10 after rice) - ate hobnob, 9.4g carbs
21.22pm 3.1 libre, 3.1 meter - drank fruit juice, c15g carbs
21.46pm 2.6 libre, 2.7 meter - thought bgl just a bit slow to go up so ate spoonful of sugar and a few raisins, c10g carbs
22.01pm 2.3 libre, 2.3 meter - yikes! - drank glucose c15g carbs (this would normally send bgl sky high)
22.32pm 4.7 libre - ate half a hobnob, then drank normal evening cup of mint tea with square of mint chocolate, c7g carbs
(I've left out a couple of scans also in the 4s here)
00.32am 4.4 libre, 4.2 meter - bedtime - ate 2 ryvita 13.4g carbs (would normally expect this to send bgl up fairly rapidly)
00.48am 3.9 libre 4.8 meter - ate hobnob 9.4 g carbs, got ready for bed, thought I should scan again before cleaning teeth ...
01.01am 3.5 libre, 3.9 meter, drank glucose c15g carbs
01.19am 5.1 libre, ate TUC biscuit 2.7g carbs
01.31am 5.9 libre and finally rising so got to bed at last!

Not counting the first hobnob, which I expected to have (albeit an hour later than I did), that's nearly 90g extra carbs in one evening, without insulin, and struggling to get bgl to stay over 4. At bedtime I'd usually have between 5.4g (2 TUC) to 13.4g (2 ryvita), depending on bgl.

Woke up with bgl around 9ish, which I often do as I have DP, but may mean I had about 10g carbs more than I needed.

So why did I need the other 80g carbs?!! That's a whole meal's worth, with no extra insulin! o_O

And before anyone suggests it ...

Yes, I had exactly the same insulin I normally have for rice (I have an Echo pen so I checked later)
Yes, I had exactly the same amount of rice (R weighs it carefully when he cooks because it normally spikes me)
Yes, it's the same rice we normally have, we're halfway through a packet
Yes, I checked how much insulin was in my system before injecting (<=half a unit), that was normal too
Yes, I had exactly the same yogurt I normally have after rice
If anything I had slightly less exercise than usual after dinner (started ironing, had to stop as so hypo)
Yes, I had my normal amount of basal that day (I checked that on Echo pen too)
Yes, I definitely have type 1 diabetes (underweight and DKA on diagnosis, GAD antibody results off the scale)!

I can only think of 2 explanations - one is that I did some gardening that morning and had a random, and rather more major than usual, delayed reaction to the exercise. People with ME do have delayed reactions to exercise, and it can be up to 48 hours later. But I didn't do a huge amount of gardening and I've never had an evening quite like that before, even when I've done much more.

The other is that I still have an occasionally working pancreas, 12 years after diagnosis, and it suddenly decided to show off what it could do if it really put its mind to it ... 😱

Anyone else have any other ideas please (if anyone else is still reading this!)?

My bet is on your injection site. I’ve had similar - a sudden unexpected drop and subsequent difficulties getting blood sugar up. It’s frightening. Some sites (and it can be a site near to sites that work fine) seem to absorb the insulin very quickly/efficiently, causing this horrible reaction. I spoke to my consultant about it a while ago and they said that if the injection doesn’t go into the subcutaneous fat area, this can happen. It doesn’t need to hit a muscle (also nasty) just go into a non-fat area.

Hope your blood sugar behaves now. The unpredictability of it all is stressful and worrying sometimes.

I was wondering about sites too. When we’ve been playing the game for a while it seems that we can get little pockets and spaces where insulin (that didn’t appear to work at the time) can lurk for unspecified amounts of time before suddenly releasing and going, “Tah daaaaah!” dropping your BG through the floor. @trophywench has had this.

But yes, I like both the exercise and stuttering pancreas ideas too.

Plus it often amazes me how sometimes a ‘unit isn’t a unit’ with T1, and a smidge extra (or not enough) basal insulin can need the counteracting effect of either double-triple treating carbs, or multiple units of correction. Diabetes Maths is it’s own weirdly random artform at times!

I had a one off stubborn low like that, never worked out why.
If it were a 'rapid absorbing site' then i can see you would go low, but then i would expect you to go high.
Delayed reaction to excercise seems a reasonable hypothesis.
The other one is that your digestion is dodgy/delayed. I think i read that can happen with someone who had vagus nerve damage, they used the trick of chewing gum as a way of kicking their digestion into working, something to do with the act of chewing triggering it...i think that was in think like a pancreas (either that or bright spots and landmines, free on diatribe website)

Thanks for your replies, and for taking the time to read my long post! I must admit I hadn't thought about it being the injection site, though as @Tdm says if it were that I'd have expected my bgl to go high later - I kept expecting it to go high and it didn't. I've had to stop injecting in my abdomen for meals as the insulin is absorbed so quickly there, but if I inject there I get a plummet followed by a high, not just a plummet (it's handy to have a quick-absorbing site for correction doses though!).

I did wonder after I posted about the lurking old insulin, I also remembered @trophywench mentioning that. I used to be on Lantus as my basal and I think that one's a particular pain from that point of view, it can hang around for ages, so that's quite a likely cause.

My digestion is certainly dodgy, but it's not delayed! And I have an almost reactive hypoglycaemia-type reaction to carbs, so the profile of the Novorapid and the profile of food I eat aren't aligned very well and I have to fiddle around with timing to get things to work for me. But again, that wouldn't explain why my bgl didn't go high later.

I often get a plummet between 4-6 hours after injecting Novorapid, which means I often get a plummet between midnight-2am (which is very annoying when I'm trying to get to bed) but normally an extra Hobnob fixes it. If anyone has any prevention ideas for dealing with this (other than eating dinner earlier - which would be fine if I were eating breakfast and lunch earlier, but I have sleep reversal) that would be very helpful.

I am a Christian, but I haven't been to Lourdes! :rofl: And I somehow think if God were going to take away my diabetes He'd have the courtesy to let me know in advance that I might want to stop injecting the insulin! :D

Bgl did it again last night 😱 - extra 50g carbs this time, got to bed at half past two!

Hoping it will behave itself tonight, I need some sleep!

Oh my goodness Juliet!

What a nightmare for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back