The Munchies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I get the munchies mid-morning and mid-afternoon and usually have a handful of KP Original Salted Peanuts (other brands are available) and this satisfies me. However, I have also noticed my Finger Prick BG spiking before Dinner Time (17:30) which today was up to 11.9. So, my question is what do people in the Forum do to take care of the munchies. I don’t particularly want to start sucking on ‘chickpeas’ or anything like that but thought I would ask the question and see what others are doing.

As always, thanks for you help.

Terry

My go to at the moment is Skyr Salted Caramel yoghurts - only 6g carbs, but no good if you want something to chew to satisfy a craving. The other option i’ve used is a chickpea crisp - Beast Snacks or Light Bites - both come in at around 11g carbs for a bag. They actually taste like crisps (but without the grease) and help take the edge off the munchies!

What is your blood sugar at before the nuts?

Nut bars, lentil crisps from Aldi, dark chocolate, almonds, walnuts, kvarg yoghurt with peanut butter, peanuts… All pretty low in carbs and don’t cause me to go over 6.0 usually.

Peanuts are fairly low in carbs… you’d have to eat quite a lot to get a lot of carbs. How long after eating the peanuts did you see an 11 and what were you before?

Nut bars, lentil crisps from Aldi, dark chocolate, almonds, walnuts, kvarg yoghurt with peanut butter, peanuts… All pretty low in carbs and don’t cause me to go over 6.0 usually.

Peanuts are fairly low in carbs… you’d have to eat quite a lot to get a lot of carbs. How long after eating the peanuts did you see an 11 and what were you before?
I tend to have some keto biscuits or other homemade treats in, or snack on babybels (the fact you have to unwrap then makes them feel more of a 'treat'

Waitrose do a 3g carb per slice of bread so that with some peanut butter is a good snack I have at home.

Another that I have that also comes to work with me is Pepperamis 🙂 although I don’t look at the salt content 🙂

Boiled eggs in the fridge are another.

Skips crisps are low in carbs compared to most other crisps

If you could do it (I know I would struggle), I think it would be useful to see what happens without the munchies one day. It is easy to accuse one thing of being the culprit and when you change it, there is no difference. So, for one day only, no peanuts.

The other thing to bear in mind, although it may be different as I have Type 1, very low carb will cause my body to produce its own sugars (I forget what the scientific term for this is ... I am sure it ends in "....genesis"). It is easier for me not to eat very low carb snacks. But then I have the option of insulin which makes it easier. It could be 10g of carbs has less impact than 3g.

Hi, I get the munchies mid-morning and mid-afternoon and usually have a handful of KP Original Salted Peanuts (other brands are available) and this satisfies me. However, I have also noticed my Finger Prick BG spiking before Dinner Time (17:30) which today was up to 11.9. So, my question is what do people in the Forum do to take care of the munchies. I don’t particularly want to start sucking on ‘chickpeas’ or anything like that but thought I would ask the question and see what others are doing.

As always, thanks for you help.

Terry
Hi,

Love salted nuts, but peanuts really affect blood sugars for me. Cheese and pickled eggs are great munchies.

I'm not sure chickpeas would be better for blood glucose than peanuts (I don't think they're lower in carbohydrate? Though I may be wrong) but I will just comment that I really like salted chickpeas and find they make a good alternative to always having nuts

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like I may have jumped the gun a little as I tested before and after today and actually my numbers dropped from 11 to 9.1. I have just had my HbA1c results back and they were 67 (cripes) so probably need to go back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back