The Lumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi

I noticed on another thread that someone (could be Bev) said that there were lumps at the sites etc. I had this conversation with our fabulous DSN the other week. My daughter started to get difficult about the area she was allowing me to site her cannula. The DSN explained in a 9 year old language (which quite frankly suited me perfectly) that the area had become numb because the skin was used to being injected there and that is why it would hurt a bit more around the rest of the area. However the numbness would go as we enlarged the area. My daughter has a perfectly placed freckle where the area on her bottom is supposed to be.

She the moved on to explaining the lumps. They are just lumps of fat. The skin and body doesn't want to be stuck with thinks that it is not used to so fat lumps form to protect that place. If you inject in the fat lump then it acts like a sponge and keeps the insulin. Certainly made lots of sense to me.

Hi Adrienne

Yes, it was me actually! It makes complete sense that this is what the lumps are -- also of course insulin likes fat, so it will tend to hang around the fatty lumps rather than be absorbed...

What I was struck by was how quickly my son developed them -- 2 months! We have our fingers crossed that things will be sorted a little bit by the time pump siting comes...he so prefers his tummy to anything else!

Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back