The low Carb cook book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I’m hoping for some help, I have the low carb cookbook from diabetes uk … can anyone let me know if the carb count is net or gross. I want to keep to a Keto diet there for keeping carbs to about 20 a day …. Unfortunately I can’t see if the carbs are gross or net.
Cyd184213CD-A838-4A9E-B0B3-1B4A09D01D4B.jpeg184213CD-A838-4A9E-B0B3-1B4A09D01D4B.jpeg

If it’s a U.K. book, the carbs should just be the total carbs (what you’re calling gross, I think). Do note that that cookbook is from a commercial company not Diabetes U.K. (this site) which is a registered charity.

The official Diabetes U.K. shop is here:

https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/

The ‘org.uk’ differentiates this site and marks it as a charity, I believe.

If it’s a U.K. book, the carbs should just be the total carbs (what you’re calling gross, I think). Do note that that cookbook is from a commercial company not Diabetes U.K. (this site) which is a registered charity.

The official Diabetes U.K. shop is here:

https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/

The ‘org.uk’ differentiates this site and marks it as a charity, I believe.
Thank you so much for your very quick response.. your answer will help me to use this wonderful cookbook accurately. I will also have a look at you shop I’m sure there is much more for me to lean.
Once again thank you Cyd

I hope you get on Ok with a Keto diet as being very, very low carb many find it hard to sustain. There are many beneficial foods that are fine for diabetics but could take you over a 20g per day limit. You need to get your energy from somewhere and in the absence of carbs that has to be protein and healthy fats. But don't forget about your mineral and vitamin intake.

A word of warning about cutting carbs too quickly from what you currently have as it can cause eye and nerve issues. It is suggested that people cut down over a period of weeks by reducing by a third for a couple of weeks then another third until they get to where they want or need to be.

I agree with Leadinglights that 20g of carb is extremely low and could be hard to maintain on a keto diet (or any healthy diet as there’re so many varied sources of carb). Aiming to keep it below, say 50g, would be considered very low carb but achievable. Keeping below 20g might make the level of detail and research required for accurate carb-counting rather challenging (def not saying anything against detail and research). I’m sure that many people who count carbs would disregard 3 or 4g of carb here and there (eg in a bit of carrot, tomato or lemon juice), as I would, if that’s the total amount of carb in a meal; as a T1 diabetic, I wouldn’t bolus for less than 5g of carb as I’d easily excercise it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back