The joys of this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Woke up to a BG of 4.7 mmol/L. Did cannual change then had breakfast. Nothing out of the ordinary. My dose was 4.85 units. Come quarter past nine my blood has shot up to 17.6 mmol/L. That's two hours after my cannula change. Was I right to do the change? I am somewhat irritated by this as you can all probably work out!

Tom

Tom, Alex always goes higher after a set change so we either set a temp basal of 130% for 2 hours or we give extra through the canula - instead of 0.03 we give 0.6. It is very common to go high after a set change. Whatever you ate for breakfast might have also contributed to the spike. Perhaps try a TB at your next set change?🙂Bev

I don't normally have a problem uless I'm very sedentary after the set change. Some people suggest it helps to leave the other set in place for an hour or two..

Seems I have a cold. That would help explain things. I've not been able to get things below 13 until now. I've slapped on a temp basal of 150% To get me through the afternoon.

Tom

Hi Tom, hope you are feeling better today?

As Bev says some people can go high after a set change. Personally I tend to go lower.

For instance if i were 4.7 to start I would not prime my canula with the 1 unit, that combined with a meal bolus would definately send me hypo. You will begin to notice a pattern, if you have not done so already? You may need a tbr for a few hours as Bev mentions. Dont get frustrated it is a learning curve but you will sort this! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back