The INSPIRED study: a randomised controlled trial of the whole person model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The INSPIRED study: a randomised controlled trial of the whole person model of disease self-management for people with type 2 diabetes

The prevalence of type 2 diabetes has increased dramatically in the last decade, and is continuing to rise. It is a chronic condition, often related to obesity, diet and sedentary lifestyles, and can lead to significant health complications, disability and early death.

Diabetes is commonly associated with depression, which can impact significantly on a person's ability to manage their illness and, consequently, on disease outcomes. Disease self-management is fundamental in diabetes and requires support from multiple health professionals and the active participation of the person, including in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

The Whole Person Model was developed in order to integrate emotional and behavioural aspects into a self-management program for people with type 2 diabetes. Here we describe a study designed to test the efficacy of the Whole Person Model of disease self-management in type 2 diabetes.

http://7thspace.com/headlines/45228...nagement_for_people_with_type_2_diabetes.html

Will be interesting to read results when published. As I'm not on the research team, I guess it's OK to say I hope that considering the Whole Person will have better outcomes than considering just a medical condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back