The Highland Fling – By Roddy Riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Saturday the 26th of April was certainly a very interesting day as far as sport and my type 1 diabetes goes. It was the day I was having a reunion with the Tartan Army who I shared bivouac number 127 in last years Marathon Des Sables. This wasn’t just meeting up for a meal and a couple of drinks, before the meal and drinks we were all running the Highland Fling 53 mile Ultra Marathon from Milngavie to Tyndrum up the West Highland Way.

I travelled down to Glasgow to stay at Derek’s house along with another two members of bivouac 127. We went and signed on on the Friday night and then headed to Derek’s house for a three course meal. I don’t normally do desserts but I did on this occasion which left me going to bed with my blood glucose (BG) higher than I normally like. We had porridge for breakfast at 3.30am which raised BG again. On travel to start of race I was constantly doing BG tests to make sure I had my BG at a safe level before the start. I lined up at 6am with 799 other competitors happy I finally had my levels under control.

http://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=2950

" Do I risk carrying on with no insulin or do I retire. I decided the latter"

I think he means 'the former'! 🙂

A great achievement. Glad to learn of another T1D who recognises the value of a post-run beer 🙂

Yet another account which reinforces my view that pen devices are more reliable than insulin pumps.

The first woman in this year's Highland Fling was a good friend of mine - we ran in the same trail race on New Years Day.

Shame he didn't get someone to proof read before it went online. Not just mixing up former and latter, but using "new" instead of "knew".

Also, shame the photo doesn't indicate that the race is not a road race with carpet at finish - as he clearly explains in paragraph one, it's the first part of West Highland Way (a long distance footpath).

Well if they did the Marathon des Sables and lived to tell the tale, it was like a walk in the municipal gardens !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back