The fun of pumps! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Don't get me wrong, we love our pump and would not change it for the world!
But sometimes they can be fun...

Was on duty at school at lunch time today when one of the junior dinner ladies came looking for me. Daughter had a problem with her pump and didn't know what to do about it, she was panicking a bit which meant the dinner ladies were also panicking! Went to find her, it turned out that the cartridge was empty and her dinner bolus had been cancelled half way through. Oops, I knew it was due to be refilled today but forgot to check just how low it was before we went out this morning; low cartridge alarm had gone off at 1.15am and she must have turned it off in her sleep!

We keep spare cannulas at school but not cartridges, could have given her a jab but she got upset at that idea so I said actually you'll be ok for half an hour (about half the bolus had gone in) so I excused myself from my duties as soon as I could and rushed home to get all the stuff. Came back and did the refill, then a finger prick with correction dose, estimate of missing bolus and cannula priming dose all in one. Left her with an instruction to test again about 2.30 to see if blood sugar was on track or if she might need any more insulin.

Lunch time had finished by this time, but rather than leaving straight away I went to see my colleagues at the infant end of the school to see if anything had happened that I needed to know about (knew they would still be there filling in endless Bumped Head letters 🙄). Whilst chatting to them my phone rang, it was the school office! Daughter had just been to them saying that her low battery alarm had gone off, could I please come and sort it out. Oh FFS...😡
Well I guess all the beeping and vibrating whilst it was stopped on empty cartridge for 40 mins didn't help...
Was glad then that I hadn't left straight away, I just happen to have a spare battery in my bag so didn't have to go home and fetch one, so that problem was sorted fairly quickly. On the way out I commented to the receptionist that I couldn't think of anything else that could possibly go wrong, so hopefully I'll see her tomorrow! :D
Pumps are brill, but sometimes they can make your day a bit hectic lol o_O

Sounds like everything possible has happened now so hopefully you can relax! I know you get used to it but it sounds very complicated to me!

Only a minor faff normally, I could almost do cartridge changes in my sleep now, but all at once at school was interesting lol!

Could be worse in future Sally - in her wedding gown just as she's about to take her vows for instance? In the middle of giving birth? In the middle of cross examining the accused just as she's got him right up a dead end, when she's a barrister?

🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back