The effects of using Lyxumia? (Similar to Victoza)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am 80 years of age, subject to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and atrial fibrillation. Apart from that I am reasonably fit a mobile. Although I was achieving the low 7.0s my annual check told my doctor more needing doing so he put me on self injecting Lyxumia.
I have no problem in self injecting because I was on a trial of something like this drug a year or so ago and was surprised at how fine the needles were. The test drug worked, I lost weight and my blood sugar level dropped. The only problem was a feeling of nausea and the strangest development of a food rejection nausea where I could not even bear to look at cream doughnuts so I came of the test.
I have been on Lyxumia for a week and although an idle sort of person prone to dozing off lunch and watching the TV news yesterday I dozed of for a series of naps coming to over four hours. Has anyone reading this had the same effect?

Hi Brian, I don't have any experience personally of Lyxumia, but I see it is similar to Victoza in the way it works, so I've added that to the title of your message so others may recognise it.

Tiredness is listed as a 'common' side-effect, but of course your tiredness may be coincidental and unrelated to the new medication. I'd see if it happens regularly, and if so have a word with your GP.

http://patient.info/medicine/lixisenatide-for-diabetes-lyxumia

The first two weeks on Lyxumia at 10 mg a day took me down to a little over 5 but since I started the 20 mg a day I'm at the low 7s which is a bit of a disappointment. I would welcome comments.

The first two weeks on Lyxumia at 10 mg a day took me down to a little over 5 but since I started the 20 mg a day I'm at the low 7s which is a bit of a disappointment. I would welcome comments.
That is surprising Brian, to increase the medication and get increased levels! :confused: Are there any other factors that might explain the increase in levels - perhaps your appetite has improved, eating different things, not as active? It does make you wonder if going back to 10mg might put you back in the 5s :confused:

How are you feeling now regarding the nausea and dozing off?

Nausea gone but still feeling bouts of tiredness. I've just twigged the higher blood sugar levels. I have a bit of a respiratory infection which previously increased the Blood Sugar levels so I will get some antibiotics.

Nausea gone but still feeling bouts of tiredness. I've just twigged the higher blood sugar levels. I have a bit of a respiratory infection which previously increased the Blood Sugar levels so I will get some antibiotics.
Ah! There you go Brian - hope you recover quickly and get back to those lower numbers 🙂 Although, I have to say I do think your GP is being quite aggressive in the treatment - if you are already in the 5s (minus the illness), why double the dose? :confused:

I suspect thats just the way it comes. First an injection pen with 10 mg and the second has 20mg. I will contact the suppler and ask.

I thought that my new regime Lyxumia would have sorted itself out by now a week or so after the above but its become even more difficult and I’m not sure what to do to get into a reasonable reaction from it.

Yesterday after a normal light lunch at midday I took my injection at the normal time of 17.30 and waited for 18.00 for my main meal but the top of my head started to feel very warm, I started to feel nauseous and under no circumstances could I face food of any description. I telephoned a medical friend for advice who said take a blood level measurement which I did and it was at 9.6 and my medical friend said you must eat something. The only thing I could face was two slices of bread and jam and ten minutes later I took another blood reading and it was 3.4 upon which I settled down and felt a little better. I had my main meal a little later. All in all I’m becoming very fed up with this treatment and do wish there was something else I could take. I attempted to contact the suppler but they are difficult to get to.

I thought that my new regime Lyxumia would have sorted itself out by now a week or so after the above but its become even more difficult and I’m not sure what to do to get into a reasonable reaction from it.

Yesterday after a normal light lunch at midday I took my injection at the normal time of 17.30 and waited for 18.00 for my main meal but the top of my head started to feel very warm, I started to feel nauseous and under no circumstances could I face food of any description. I telephoned a medical friend for advice who said take a blood level measurement which I did and it was at 9.6 and my medical friend said you must eat something. The only thing I could face was two slices of bread and jam and ten minutes later I took another blood reading and it was 3.4 upon which I settled down and felt a little better. I had my main meal a little later. All in all I’m becoming very fed up with this treatment and do wish there was something else I could take. I attempted to contact the suppler but they are difficult to get to.
Sorry to hear this Brian :( It does sound like your body isn't too happy with it as a treatment. There are similar ones on the market, like Byetta, Bydureon and Victoza (there may be others now - it is a relatively new form of treatment over the past 5 years and has started to spawn new, similar treatments lately). I would certainly speak to your GP or nurse about possibly trying something else. Nausea and lack of appetite is a fairly common side effect, but often goes after 2-3 weeks. If it's spoiling your quality of life though, I'm sure an alternative could be found that you would tolerate better 🙂

I'm a bit surprised at a 'medical' friend saying that you must eat something with your BG at 9.6 already!! I'm also surprised that you would eat bread and jam or even look at a cream doughnut. The cream is fine on its own - but not the doughnut, the bread - or the jam!

Would you normally eat that amount of fast-acting carbohydrate, generally?

I have eaten that sort of thing since I started on this Lyxumia. My doctor, for whom I have a lot of respect told me I must persevere so I opened up my copy of John Bunyan to look for support and found the piece on, “The Preservation and Perseverance of the Saints.” but it didnt help. The strange thing is that I took part on a drug trial with something like this a few years ago and had to come of it and they don't seem to have improved on it what with all of the side effects.

I am 80 years of age, subject to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and atrial fibrillation. Has anyone reading this had the same effect?

I'm 66 and have Type 2 Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis - my mobility is almost non-existent so exercise is very limited; COPD since having pneumonia 18mths ago - I am on oxygen for around 15 hours daily & get breathless on walking. My heart works inefficiently so I retain lots of fluid in my feet which also makes walking painful.

I was put on Lyxumia about 4 months ago and although I didn't have any problems in the beginning I now find I have problems similar to your own. At first I'd just feel sick but its gradually got worse and now once I've had the injection I start heaving at the very smell of food. I've not eaten a proper meal for weeks now. My GP is really happy with my blood results and says to carry on using it & things will get better. I feel between a rock and a hard place!

Hello Jenny, Welcome.
I'm sorry to hear you are now having problems with Luxumia.
Your GP may well be very happy with your blood results but s/he is not having to live with those side effects on top of your other health problems.
It may be that other diabetic medications would suit you better.
Please don't be afraid of telling your GP that you've had enough of trying with Luxumia.
Let us know how you get on

I'm 66 and have Type 2 Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis - my mobility is almost non-existent so exercise is very limited; COPD since having pneumonia 18mths ago - I am on oxygen for around 15 hours daily & get breathless on walking. My heart works inefficiently so I retain lots of fluid in my feet which also makes walking painful.

I was put on Lyxumia about 4 months ago and although I didn't have any problems in the beginning I now find I have problems similar to your own. At first I'd just feel sick but its gradually got worse and now once I've had the injection I start heaving at the very smell of food. I've not eaten a proper meal for weeks now. My GP is really happy with my blood results and says to carry on using it & things will get better. I feel between a rock and a hard place!
Hi Jenny, welcome to the forum 🙂 You're not alone in getting this reaction to Lyxumia. There are alternatives which work in a similar way and some people tolerate better, so it would be worth asking your GP about changing and trying something else. Better blood sugars are good, but you should not be feeling awful all the time in order to achieve them.

Well, you certainly have more medical problems to put up with than I do and you have my sympathy. My reaction to Lyxumia is not as profound as yours although I now find that on a number of occasions I have taken the injection and eaten my main meal of the day half an hour or so later. All seems to be well until I get the nasty surprise of starting to go into a Hypo which is not only debilitating but also quite inconvenient. I note that one of the claims to fame of Lyxumia is that it is a low cost medication but I’m surprised that it has been accepted with all the problems it causes. It also appears to be an illogical medication in that during the week I forgot to take my injection one evening. When my wife discovered it she asked me to take it and started to prepare a small meal. However, I was so fed up with the situation I declined to follow her advice. Then, surprise, surprise, I took a blood test the next morning and the Blood Sugar level was down from the not very good 8.0s to 6.3 which suggests that I would be better off without Lyxmuia. This whole business of feeling sick and developing food aversion was well documented during the tests of this medication and it appears to have been ignored but then why let such things interfere with profit lines.

I have been out to a Golden wedding celebration and ate a meal with no problems.. As I had not had my injection I waited until 19.00 then waited 30 minutes before eating a light meal and as is usual I now feel nauseous. I'm really absolutely fed up with Lyxumia and will press for an alternative which if its not available I will respond to by just ceasing the injections. At 80 years of age why should I worry but what I do worry about is why such a mediation allowed out.

I have been out to a Golden wedding celebration and ate a meal with no problems.. As I had not had my injection I waited until 19.00 then waited 30 minutes before eating a light meal and as is usual I now feel nauseous. I'm really absolutely fed up with Lyxumia and will press for an alternative which if its not available I will respond to by just ceasing the injections. At 80 years of age why should I worry but what I do worry about is why such a mediation allowed out.
Not everyone gets the side-effects you are getting Brian, so it can be helpful to a lot of people. However, you are right, if it is really affecting your quality of life than an alternative should be tried. Tell your GP how you feel and how it is making you very reluctant to continue with the medication. There are plenty of alternatives that could be tried instead.

I am still using Lyxumia and yesterday evening my doctor telephoned me to tell the results of my latest full blood test which showed a consistent drop in my blood sugar levels so great. However, the latest little blot on its record is that every few days the injection stings quite painfully. Has anyone experienced this.

I am still using Lyxumia and yesterday evening my doctor telephoned me to tell the results of my latest full blood test which showed a consistent drop in my blood sugar levels so great. However, the latest little blot on its record is that every few days the injection stings quite painfully. Has anyone experienced this.
Good news about the blood results Brian 🙂 I haven't used this particular medication, but insulin can sting a bit sometimes if not at room temperature. Mind you, I've had the occasional injection when it is perfectly up to temperature and still stings a lot! 😱 If it only happens occasionally, it's possibly just 'one of those things', unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back