The effect of hot weather on BS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody.

Since Type 2 diagnosis [in Feb 2010], this is the first time I have experienced a spell of hot weather [and i have always loved the heat! :D]. But [silly question i know] i have no idea [being a newbie] what effect the heat will have on my BS levels. Can you advise please?

My GP has said i don't need to self test [because i'm Type 2], hence i don't know what my BS are like during this hot weather.

Many Thanks

Sat

I'm a Type 1 and find I have ALOT of lows in the sun. :(

Its a bit variable and depends a lot on the individual I think. So the best way of working it out is to look at how it affects you personally.

Your doc is wrong incidentally about not needing to test. Here's one discussion of why:
(link) When to Test After Meals

The reason that so many docs/medics have got the idea that its pointless to test is that they are quite correct but ONLY if you do nothing about the results and do not learn anything from it. For a type 2 diabetic, learning from a meter is the most effective tool we have for improving BG control.

This nonsense is usually based on 2 studies which both took the approach of getting people to test, then carry on doing exactly what they were doing before and expecting things to change. Here's one discussion of just one of the two studies, but the other is very similar:
(link) Is Testing Worthwhile?

Last edited:
Hi I am type 1 and like Laura I too have a lot of lows in the sun.

As I understand, the heat makes insulin work faster, so hypos are more likely.

I usually drop 1-2 units if I'm outside in the sun, find this generally works for me.

I don't think t1 and t2 are particularly comparable here since I don't think sat is on insulin. T2s have the potential for heat affecting the production of insulin and resistance.

As a general rule of thumb the hot weather makes insulin absorption more efficient, we become less insulin resisten if we are type 2, but we are all individuals.

if you can test, do as it will give you a clearer idea of what is going on. Go through the threads suggested in an earlier reply as it will help you build a case with your GP for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back