The disease that won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
They've just amputated his right leg at the knee, his kidneys have shut down and his pancreas is shot. Jonathan Grant, who prefers being called Jay TEE, has a piercing, take-noprisoners, "don't mess with me" look. "I'm going to be blind in five years and dead in 10 and I'm not going to spend the time left crying about it," he says. There's no reason to doubt the man who's probably the quickest in a wheelchair in Montreal's Institut de r?adaption Gingras-Lindsay. His ward is made up exclusively of diabetic amputees. Jay TEE, 55, is a non-fictional character in what could pass for the plot of a Stephen King horror novel about a disease that ravages the globe.

Problem is it's real life. There is no end to the book and no end in sight to the nightmares.

Jay TEE refuses to go down for the count with Type 1 diabetes, or T1D, as those-in-the-know call it. And along with sufferers of Type 2 (T2D), he's in the company of hundreds of millions around the planet, soon to reach a billion.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/disease+that+away/9209180/story.html

A confused and overly-dramatic article, I feel, as subtle as an X-Factor announcer 🙄

A terrible article, and what's more, this gentleman is actually type 2 on insulin. The article says he started off on metformin and progressed to insulin and implies he therefore became type 1. Sensationalist drivel!

I only read half the article because I just couldn't read anymore.
I absolutely hate this type of rubbish - talk about scaremongering ! I can only presume that the Vancouver sun is the same as the Sun in the UK. Terrible !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back