The difference between Type 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Since the age of eight, Emily Cole has had to get used to injecting herself with insulin at least four times a day.

Now 14, the Gosport teenager was just 18 months old when she was rushed to hospital after having a life-threatening attack, called a diabetic ketoacidosis.

It was only once she was sent to hospital – after having seen a doctor – that Emily was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.

The condition destroys beta cells in the pancreas, meaning that the body can no longer produce insulin.

Insulin is needed in order to help the body use glucose for energy.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/health/local-health/the-difference-between-type-1-and-2-1-4516717

She needs to calorie count in order to make sure she is delivering the right amount of insulin in to her body
🙄

‘There is an important distinction to be made – Type 1 cannot be prevented or cured at present.

‘Type 2 can be prevented. - not always, Dr.

‘The second one means the body is usually producing insulin, but it isn’t being used effectively because the pancreas is knackered.’
🙄

Last edited:
Roflmao

Lovely, explained beautifully. Thanks for that.

Meanwhile to the mutual horror of certain persons, in a parallel universe across the other side of the world, Spammers R Us have purchased an old website domain name that was very helpful to me in my hour of need, where I learned only last night that a herbal remedy will cure the build up of sugar in my pancreas.

All these years I've been worried about the sugar in other parts of me and all previous efforts have been concentrated on just trying to get rid of that - and they never even told me it was building up in my pancreas!

Dangnabbit.

It's not clear who is wrong - the person quoted for actually saying that or the journalist for quoting incorrectly.

Not so long ago, a respected journalist stated that a volunteer on a running race, described as "he", was returning back to Olympics after the race. Well, that volunteer was female and coming from Paralympic to race. I asked the race director who was the other Games Maker, but he said it was me (and he knew my sex) and the journalist had got in a muddle.

It read to me as if the reporter was fairly new to the job, a bit disjointed, maybe she was just rushed. I was quite impressed with the link to the portsmouth hospital diabetes & endocrine team site.

I imagine the 'calorie count' was simply misheard - very easy to do when you know a popular phrase but someone says a similar but unfamiliar phrase.

I wonder if the doctor writes in patients' notes at diagnosis 'pancreas knackered' though! :D

They probably have either a Greek/Latin word or a special code, eg like Ergophobia or NFR. PC- pancreatically challenged (? T2) and PK for ? T1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back