The Diabetes Epidemic in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A young man in his early thirties struggles through traffic on his small Honda motorbike. As he enjoys a short break at a traffic signal, one foot on the road, his eyes are attracted to a billboard picturing a succulent burger. While he gazes, fantasizing about lunch, his vision starts to blur.

The light turns green, but the traffic remains motionless as people rush toward the Honda to pick up the young man, now fallen on his side. A bystander offers to take him to the nearest hospital, where he joins the burgeoning population of Indians who have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2012/01/21/7423/the-diabetes-epidemic-in-india--/

Asians/indians etc are supposed to have a higher genetic disposition to diabetes. Interesting to read about the nationwide screening program, I suspect this will find lots of new diabetics and increase the nations treatment costs.
I also suspect that one of the dietary factors in india is the large quantities of coconut (they use a lot of coconut oil (85-90% saturated fat)and eat a lot of fried food).
It doesn't say, did they take his licence away🙄

The predisposition is an absolute proven fact and a lot of money is and has been spent in UK trying to get the correct message across to the Asian community.

I was exceptionally riled reading in Balance a shortish while ago about a young married Asian T1 who was expected by her husband to conceal her diabetes from his parents even though his Dad is T2 - and at that - when the parents were staying with the young couple in their home. Whaaaat?

That amounts to abuse to me .......

The predisposition is an absolute proven fact and a lot of money is and has been spent in UK trying to get the correct message across to the Asian community.

I was exceptionally riled reading in Balance a shortish while ago about a young married Asian T1 who was expected by her husband to conceal her diabetes from his parents even though his Dad is T2 - and at that - when the parents were staying with the young couple in their home. Whaaaat?

That amounts to abuse to me .......

I agree, what a dreadful and totally unnecessary situation she was in :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back