The deadly danger too many diabetics aren't warned about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hannah Postles discovered she had type 1 diabetes after going to A&E with blurred vision.

It wasn’t her only symptom.

For the previous three weeks, she’d been thirsty, drinking two bottles of water at lunch, had lost weight and felt run down.

‘My boss suggested I might have diabetes after looking up my symptoms online, but my GP seemed to dismiss it because of my age,’ says Hannah, a press officer for the University of Sheffield.

‘I was 26 and most type 1 diabetics are diagnosed in childhood.’

Luckily, Hannah spoke to a doctor friend who told her to go to A&E, where she was tested for diabetes, and immediately put on an insulin drip.
Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body doesn’t make insulin, the hormone that regulates glucose levels in the blood.

Typically, people with type 1 diabetes are diagnosed around the age of 12 — although occasionally adults are diagnosed in later life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...dly-danger-diabetics-aren-t-warned-about.html

I'm pretty sure that simply isn't true, it's not 'occasionally'! 🙄 I seem to remember reading that most people are diagnosed T1 between 12-25, then another peak between 35-49. I don't think the research went beyond 49 otherwise I'm pretty sure it would have shown that many were diagnosed T1 beyond that age, we have many examples here. 🙄

VERY wrong for the GP to dismiss it! 😱

Last edited:
I was diagnosed at 4 1/2 so their stats are out in that dept as well. Most Gp's do tend to over look the basic most simple explanation though.
Look on the bright side though now that you are diagnosed with diabetes, you have a new condition called it's your diabetes no matter what the problem is :D

Its one of those paper things you put chips in with monkeys who tell stories 🙄:D

They need to consider autoimmune more generally rather than the specific condition you're left with. I read something about new research into autoimmune disorders which suggests a number of age clusters and the 38-45 group is increasing exponentially with every generation. The same appears to be happening now with the 26-30 cluster but it's too early to tell. I was diagnosed at 40 and so far this year in my group of friends we have coeliac, rheumatoid arthritis x2, crohns, colitis and lupus diagnosed all at 40. They're not kidding about exponential increase if my experience is anything to go by 😱 if they're right then type one in adulthood is getting much more common so they need to catch up quickly, I was told by my GP at the time that I was obsessed by diabetes because my Dad had recently died from type 2 related complications, My risk score was very low for type 2 and it was impossible to get type 1 over the age of 10, that lack of awareness almost killed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back