The Day Turned Out Well In The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I attend the eye clinic every six to nine months, and my appointment came around yesterday. Because First Capital Connect are still fairly unconnected I decided to take the day off rather than missing my appointment. When a (non-driving) friend heard I had the day off they asked if I could take them to an orthopaedic appointment at another hospital (they are going to have a uni-compartmental knee replacement. When I tested my BG before breakfast it was 15.1, which I can only put down to nerves as after all these years with diabetes I always get apprehensive that they will find something. In response to this I took 2 units extra. The wait in the hospital was quite long and at about 10:30 I decided to check my BG ? 4.2. Time to eat I thought and set off for the restaurant. After working my way through a maze of corridors I eventually found the restaurant. The problem was it had been closed some months ago but not all the signage removed. I was directed to a snack bar at the opposite end of the hospital. Half way there I started feeling distinctly low and began perspiring so I ate some chocolate and carried on. Once I got to the snack bar I brought a sandwich and a cup of coffee. Despite it being a hospital and me being noticeable shaky nobody said anything or offered to bring the food over. I wolfed the BLT down and went back for another coffee and a packet of crisps. About three quarters of an hour later I was feeling more together and decided to check my BG so went over to a quiet corner. Half way through I glanced up and saw three members of staff watching me! They disappeared quickly when I looked at them ? you get less fuss in a Weatherspoons!

A few hours later I had parked up and gone over to the next hospital. Their eye clinic runs very smoothly. Forty minutes after my appointed time I had had a visual acuity test, check for glaucoma, been dilated and had my retinas carefully examined. It was the same consultant who had done my cataract operation ? he is really good. I also found out that he is a fellow CCS sufferer! There were some background changes, not unexpected after 42 years, but nothing that needs treatment. When I left it was dark and raining. The lights were dazzling but I could not wear my shades as it made things to dark for comfort. So I made my way to a nearby coffee shop and just chilled out!

Hope you didn't "chill out" too much man😎

Still great news no big changes

Glad it turned out okay in the end!

xx

Glad you had a good day, it is always nice when that happens.

Many people I work with call the un train service First unconnected...

Glad there was nothing major to worry about. My blood sugar does that when I'm stressed - climbs into the high teens and then when I correct it it plummets. I had to smile at your correcting, checking, eating, checking - that's me some days too. Such a pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back