The challenges of partial sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've lived for decades with just some central vision in my right eye, the other eye is blind after the ravages of proliferative retionopathy in the late 1980's early 90's.

I haven't got any peripheral vision at all, it was lasered to try and protect my central vision. I still think of peripheral as meaning the sides but it also means loss of sight above and below. I've found my way of coping and bizarrely needing crutches to walk due to Charcot foot and having my leg/legs in casts for the past 25 years helps in that I can feel the edges of pavements, steps and kerbs as I can't distinguish them.

Sometimes I get really scared in busy areas, stations etc where people are crisscrossing in front of me and I don't see them until we almost/do collide. I have no sight in low light and the dark so have lights that stay on in my house and I always carry a torch.

I manage and try to carry on doing what I need to. I had a bad fall about 7 days back in my house, thankfully I didn't break any bones- my right leg is already in a cast! I tripped over the vacuum that I'd abandoned on the floor to answer the door. I didn't see it, it just wasn't in my very limited field of vision. I catapulted myself head over heels face down on the floor flat out, thankfully one side of me was a bit protected by my crutches breaking my fall but my left hand side really hit the floor hard. I scared myself sick and lay there winded trying to work out what hurt the most.

It really frightened me how easy it was to damage and scare myself. I ventured out today but was so nervous and jumpy concentrating so hard on not tripping over, it's damaged my confidence and made me so aware of what I can't see and the dangers all around that aren't in my field of vision. I look up and trip over broken flagstones & uneven pavements or I look down and walk into people, I can't do both.

Just a grumble really on the reality of sight loss and a reminder how vital retinal screening is. There wasn't a National retinal screening programme back in the 1980's when proliferative retinopathy hit me so aggressively & I didn't know anything was wrong until it was too late. Anti Vegf eye injections which are so effective at limiting retinopathy & maculopathy progression didn't exist back then so my only option was surgery and maximum laser.

Lesson learned. Do not drop anything on the floor because falling over is so painful and very frightening.

I need to find my confidence and mojo again 🙄

Sometimes I get really scared in busy areas, stations etc where people are crisscrossing in front of me and I don't see them until we almost/do collide.
A lot of people near me wear a yellow visually impaired badge, particularly those who use walking aids as they can’t then also use a cane. I find them quite helpful in knowing to get out of the way for them, or asking if they need any help at crossings if I’m also crossing. I’m sure some people ignore the badge but it seems to be a widespread thing as I’ve seen people wearing them in other areas too. Could be worth considering when going to busy places?

Really sorry to read that you have had such a nasty tumble @Flower. I think you are incredibly brave and inspirational in how you manage your complications and push yourself to go out and about despite them. Hoping you regain your confidence soon and sending big but gentle ((((HUGS))))

Thank you! I was annoyed with myself for falling & shocked that I couldn’t see a big vacuum cleaner lying across the floor.

I’ve not heard about VI badges @Lucyr , they sound a good idea but I’m not sure that I’d want to wear one to be honest. I hope my crutches & cast give me a bit of protection in busy areas but it doesn’t stop some people getting tangled up in them.

You really are an inspiration @Flower 🙂 Sometimes I nearly bump into people just because I'm so busy checking where my feet are going, because it's just so easy to fall over on uneven pavements. It's especially noticeable when I've got my hood up in the rain, but at least I can shift that to use my peripheral vision. You must feel really vulnerable a lot of the time.
Hope you feel better soon and that your confidence returns xxx

I will reply when I have more time to do your post justice, chasing too many exam marking deadlines at the moment. So much of your post resonates with me, but even in my bleakest moments I knew that it would hopefully be a temporary state. Having had the experience of very poor sight in both eyes while awaiting cataract operations (to the extent that I ended up in the wrong loo on a ferry, couldn't decipher the symbols on the doors, no one else there when I went in, but I emerged to two very surprised gentlemen) I have enormous respect for those who face the challenges permanently.

Ouch. Falling really sucks and I have cursed gravity many times. And it really shakes you up.

Have you had a chat with OT? They may be able to offer some ideas so helping keep you safe.

Sorry to read about your fall @Flower. It must have been a nasty surprise, falling over like that. I’m glad to hear you went out today and felt more confident.

Thank you for your kind words 🙂

I went out with my sister today & she held on to my arm to protect me from walking into people, lampposts, uneven pavements etc.
I didn’t feel quite as nervous & shaky today.
So sorry to read about your fall @Flower. You are such an inspiration with how you manage everything day to day.

Good to hear that you have had an outing with your sister, and I hope that you begin to get your confidence back. Take care.

Thank you for your kind words 🙂

I went out with my sister today & she held on to my arm to protect me from walking into people, lampposts, uneven pavements etc.
I didn’t feel quite as nervous & shaky today.

Lovely to hear you were able to get out and about with a little more confidence.

Leaving things in terrible places to answer the door is something I’ve done many times too. And tripping hazards are even more hazardous when you can’t see them clearly, of course.

Like so many others, I find your resilience and determination so inspiring. You are a great example of finding workarounds to be able to continue to make the most of life alongside challenges and difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back