The carbohydrate debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Those of you who read my last blog may recall that one of my subjects was the Olympic Games and how we can create opportunities with our patients to raise ths issue of diet and physical activity.

I have just been reading my September copy of the Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust. In this edition, one article, which first appeared in the Times on 17 July this year, might seem controversial. Why is it controversial, you may ask? Well, it highlights the high carbohydrate diet versus low carbohydrate diet question.

The DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) course teaches that, those with type 1 diabetes can eat as much as they want, as long as they count their carbohydrate intake and match it with the appropriate dose of insulin.

An American doctor suggested to someone with type 1 diabetes that he should cut down on carbs as much as possible rather than eating what he liked (including carbohydrates). Following this advice caused this patient to reduce his insulin dose to a quarter of his normal dose, his blood glucose control improved amazingly, he lost 33lbs in weight and no change to his cholesterol levels.

What would be your thoughts on hearing this?

http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/carbohydrate-debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back