The brave new world of DIY faecal transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You would have to be desperate to take a sample of your husband's excrement, liquidise it in a kitchen blender and then insert it into your body, with an off-the-shelf enema kit. This article contains some graphic images and details.

In April 2012, Catherine Duff was ready to try anything. She was wasting away with crippling abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea so severe she was confined to the house. At 56, in the US state of Indiana, she had come down with her sixth Clostridium difficile infection in six years.

"My colorectal surgeon said: 'The easiest thing would be to just take your colon out.' And my question was: 'Easier for whom?'"

Appalled at the idea of losing her large intestine, Duff's family feverishly searched for alternative treatments on the internet. One of them turned up an article about a doctor in Australia, Thomas Borody, who had been treating C. diff with an unusual process known as faecal transplant, or faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27503660

😱

Funnily enough I was having a conversation with a reference to suppositories only this morning ..... LOL

Well if there's no other way of getting the required 'flora' then OK, revolting it may sound but better than the alternative she was offered - but you'd have thought there would be some more acceptable way by now, wouldn't you?

Funnily enough I was having a conversation with a reference to suppositories only this morning ..... LOL

Well if there's no other way of getting the required 'flora' then OK, revolting it may sound but better than the alternative she was offered - but you'd have thought there would be some more acceptable way by now, wouldn't you?

Remember this 'advance' in diabetes treatment? 😱 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back