The bionic pancreas begins an 11-day home study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
On July 3, Dr. Ed Damiano addressed the Friends for Life Conference in Orlando with the latest update on his team’s bionic pancreas, which involves automated insulin+glucagon delivery using CGM readings from a Dexcom G4 Platinum, a control algorithm running on an iPhone, and two Tandem t:slim pumps. After opening with a compelling video from the Helmsley Charitable Trust on the “bionic kids” summer camp study (we had the privilege of visiting this camp last summer), Dr. Damiano discussed his team’s current 11-day study, which will test the bionic pancreas in 40 adults with type 1 diabetes. Patients will have the freedom to live at home and go about their normal lives with limited remote monitoring, all while their blood sugar is managed 24/7 by the bionic pancreas.

http://diatribe.org/issues/66/new-now-next/3

Pretty sure I don't want anything like in that picture! 😱

I think it's fantastic that they are working on things like this, but it's probably not going to be a goer until they can work out how to get it all in one machine, is it!

But I guess this is a step closer...

That does seem like a lot of cannulas on one small body :(. And two machines clipped on his waistband. I wonder how they've managed to stabilise the glucagon, as I thought it couldn't be kept in its dissolved/liquid state?

That does seem like a lot of cannulas on one small body :(. And two machines clipped on his waistband. I wonder how they've managed to stabilise the glucagon, as I thought it couldn't be kept in its dissolved/liquid state?

Yes, that's a puzzle :confused:

Liquid jelly babies!

What the heck is that great big sticky out thing that's Elastoplast coloured?

I think that's the CGM sensor!

Remind you of anything? 😱

pumpbackpack.jpg

Taking into consideration that the CGM is at least 20 mins behind in readings I personally wouldn't want that lot on me or rely on it. Over time I suspect a dual pump will be built though. Still wouldn't want it though.

Taking into consideration that the CGM is at least 20 mins behind in readings I personally wouldn't want that lot on me or rely on it. Over time I suspect a dual pump will be built though. Still wouldn't want it though.

I presume that the algorithms would take account of the lapse in readings? I'm more hopeful about the stem cell research rather than a mechanical/software-driven solution 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back