The Big Dipper Weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A while ago I proposed having a Diastix dipping weekend to test for non-diet diet cokes. Since then I have tested 11 diet cokes and the results have been quite alarming. The breakdown is; McDonalds ? 5 purchases of which 2 were standard coke; pubs 5 purchased of which one was standard coke; Fine Burger ? one purchased which was diet. This means that 3/11 were not a diet drink ? a staggering 27.3%! The last one purchased was yesterday in a McDonalds. I had repeated my request twice as the rather surly young woman did not seem to be paying attention. She did replace it without a word after I had dipped it. Hopefully she has not got the McNVQ. As I was leaving someone came back because she had got their tea wrong!

My proposal is to have the Big Dipper over the Easter bank holiday weekend. I would like you to buy as many diet cokes, or other diet drinks, as you and, your family and friends, can manage and test to see if they are genuinely diet. if you then post the results saying if it was a pub/burger bar/etc. and also if it was part of a chain, like McDonalds or Weatherspoons, or an independent. Once the results are posted I will analyse them.

Many thanks!

Fab work there falcon, i will do just that im off out for lunch on sunday and on friday night im going to a steak house so shall let you know.On the easter weekend we are going out the saturday as well so hope you dont mind all 3 resutls or do you just want the one done over easter?

Hello,

Has anyone contacted Bayer to see if they fancy donating some of their DiaStix test strips to the DiDkA cause?

I contacted them and asked for a Contour USB for my project and they obliged.

I got a lovely reply from them saying they'd like to help my project in any way they could.

NiVZ

I have found burger chains, and especially the ones that sell large raincoats are murder with their drinks in general. Diet drinks are always full sugar drinks anything with no milk comes with milk, andything with no sugar comes with LOTS of sugar.

I'll have a go, but am not planning on going far so wont promise...

Have you thought of also including county in the results- to see if parts of the country are better served than others ?

Falcon, I've sent you a PM 🙂

Hi ScaredHeart,

I have PM'd you back as I am quite happy for the 'Big Dipper Weekend' to merge with DiDkA's 'Big Test Campaign'. We all have to try to bring an attend to these slapdash attitudes!

Best regards,

Falcon

Brilliant!

I think it's a great idea for us to combine the two. I hadn't thought of having a 'launch weekend', but it's a really smart angle 🙂

I will start getting bits and pieces organised on the DiDkA end 🙂

Becky

hi all great idea !🙂 we have been working on the idea since you suggested it falcon ages ago ... but lets go for it folks and if you could anaylis the results falcon we will have more ammunician when approaching the big comapnies thank you xx

I think this is a fab idea 🙂

I'm possibly being a little thick but are Diastix the same as Ketostix?!

I think this is a fab idea 🙂

I'm possibly being a little thick but are Diastix the same as Ketostix?!

No they test for sugar in urine - really this harks back to the days before BG meters. As such they are excellent for checking that your diet drink really is diet. As I mentioned far to often it is not. They are about ?5 for 50 strips.

Hi, We have now merged 'The Big Dipper' with the DiDkA 'Big Test Campaign'. I am therefore closing this thread. Futher information is at:-

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=7364

Remember the soft drinks to test are the diet ones that are dispensed. Testing a can or bottle of the genuine article will always give a good result but will distort our results, and subsequent analysis of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back