The babies who nap in sub-zero temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Would you put your baby or toddler outside in the freezing cold for their lunchtime nap? Most Nordic parents wouldn't give it a second thought. For them it's part of their daily routine.

Daytime temperatures this winter in Stockholm have regularly dropped to -5C (23F) but it's still common to see children left outside by their parents for a sleep in the pram.

Wander through the snowy city and you'll see buggies lined up outside coffee shops while parents sip on lattes inside.

And if you are visiting friends and your child needs a nap, you may be offered the garden or balcony instead of a bedroom.

"I think it's good for them to be in the fresh air as soon as possible," says Lisa Mardon, a mother-of-three from Stockholm, who works for a food distribution company.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

Maybe not at that temperature because it doesn't get that cold in the UK but when my children were babies it was totally normal for them to spend hours sleeping outdoors.
It was totally normal. The prams were far better designed for that than the modern ones .They used to sell nets to put on them to stop neighbouring moggies joining the baby.

Last edited:
Maybe not at that temperature because it doesn't get that cold in the UK but when my children were babies it was totally normal for them to spend hours sleeping outdoors.
It was totally normal. The prams were far better designed for that than the modern ones .They used to sell nets to put on them to stop neighbouring moggies joining the baby.

When I was a kid you never really thought about the cold - we had an outside loo, so you needed a certain amount of resilience! 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back