The advantage of diabetes

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I feel a bit accident prone this month.
While on holiday, I was knocked over by a bike.
I got home last night and spent today getting it checked out. I have broken my elbow.
As I was keen to get seen as soon as possible, I headed out before breakfast. When I mentioned this to the nurse at midday, she bought me a sandwich because of my diabetes.
Service is slow but friendly and professional.

Really sorry to hear that someone on a bike has injured you so badly. I can only imagine how painful a broken elbow must be. Ouch!

Not sure why you need a sandwich because you are diabetic though. In times past, when people were on mixed insulin, then I could understand it, but surely not with a pump or modern basal bolus regime. Really kind of the nurse but outdated thinking surely, unless I am misunderstanding something?

Hope your bad luck spell has come to an end and your elbow heals quickly.

Not sure why you need a sandwich because you are diabetic though. In times past, when people were on mixed insulin, then I could understand it, but surely not with a pump or modern basal bolus regime. Really kind of the nurse but outdated thinking surely, unless I am misunderstanding something?
I don't NEED a sandwich but it is now 3pm and if it wasn't for the kind nurse I would be very hungry. Happy for her to take advantage of the diabetes to treat me.

Sorry to hear about your elbow @helli I hope it’s not too painful and heals without issue.
I once went to a wedding and asked the caterers what time the meal was being served, explaining that I had Type 1 in case they thought I was just greedy! They were very kind and helpful and took things so seriously that they served me my meal before the bride and groom :rofl:

Hope you heal up quickly @helli and it’s not too painful.

The "People With Type 1 Must Eat" myth continues.
This morning, I was waiting for a call to confirm if I needed surgery so was nil by mouth until I heard. This was being discussed in the daily Trauma Team Meeting. Because of my diabetes, they discussed my case first and called before the meeting had finished.
No surgery today so my fast has been broken.

I could last longer without eating - I did yesterday - but happy to take the Type 1 bonus.

Last edited:
Er, @helli so, how is it to be treated and are there any loose bits broken off the joint still inside you?

I could last longer without eating - I did yesterday - but happy to take the Type 1 bonus.

Absolutely. Unashamedly I've used my type 1 to move up surgery list whilst been in hospital, so get it over & done with in morning rather than waiting about all day.

Er, @helli so, how is it to be treated and are there any loose bits broken off the joint still inside you?
The break is quite clean and reasonably well aligned. It is all contained within my arm so no gory bone sticking out.. The hope is that the cast I have will keep them in place as the bone regrows and "fixes itself".
I will have an x-ray next week to check it is going ok. If not, it will need some metal to hold the two bits of bone together. They are hoping to avoid this because I may need another operation later to remove the metal and no one like operations.
They were also reluctant to operate while it is pretty swollen. Hopefully, this would have gone down if they need to operate next week.

Right - so - it's immobilised in a plaster cast - which you hadn't said. The swelling reducing which presumably it will - will make the cast loose though presumably - so don't just decide to do stuff cos you can!

The break is quite clean and reasonably well aligned. It is all contained within my arm so no gory bone sticking out.. The hope is that the cast I have will keep them in place as the bone regrows and "fixes itself".
I will have an x-ray next week to check it is going ok. If not, it will need some metal to hold the two bits of bone together. They are hoping to avoid this because I may need another operation later to remove the metal and no one like operations.
They were also reluctant to operate while it is pretty swollen. Hopefully, this would have gone down if they need to operate next week.

If possible try to keep arm elevated as much as possible @helli as that will help reduce swelling, I've had broken arm so talking from experience.

If possible try to keep arm elevated as much as possible @helli as that will help reduce swelling, I've had broken arm so talking from experience.
Funnily enough, my hand swelled up yesterday so I went back to a&e. Turns out the problem was only gravity. So my sling has been adjusted to raise my arm more.
The triage nurse recognised my case because my X ray and story (5 days before getting it checked out) has been doing the rounds of the trauma team. I guess Type 1 makes us strong in ways we couldn't imagine.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, my hand swelled up yesterday so I went back to a&e. Turns out the problem was only gravity. So my sling has been adjusted to raise my arm more.
The triage nurse recognised my case because my X ray and story (5 days before getting it checked out) has been doing the rounds of the trauma team. I guess Type 1 makes us strong in ways we couldn't imagine.

How are things today?

How are things today?
Aww. Thanks for asking.
The novelty has well and truly worn off and I am bored with asking for help for little things like getting dressed and having a shower. But I am trying to make the most of small successes - today I opened a packet of Bourbon biscuits ALL BY MYSELF.
I finally have my next appointment - it is delayed because the orthopaedic consultants don't work weekends and bank holidays (makes sense because no one breaks bones on those days!). So I am happier now I have the next point of contact and know how long I have to formulate a list of questions whilst getting on with life.

It will soon be the (long) weekend and I aim to master the art of opening a bottle of wine one-handed. Hic!

Last edited:
Aww. Thanks for asking.
The novelty has well and truly worn off and I am bored with asking for help for little things like getting dressed and having a shower. But I am trying to make the most of small successes - today I opened a packet of Bourbon biscuits ALL BY MYSELF.
I finally have my next appointment - it is delayed because the orthopaedic consultants don't work weekends and bank holidays (makes sense because no one breaks bones on those days!). So I am happier now I have the next point of contact and know how long I have to formulate a list of questions whilst getting on with life.

It will soon be the (long) weekend and I aim to master the art of opening a bottle of wine one-handed. Hic!
The most difficult thing I found when I fractured my wrist was getting my trousers and underwear on and off. I hope any pain is easing.

The most difficult thing I found when I fractured my wrist was getting my trousers and underwear on and off. I hope any pain is easing.
Thankfully, bottom clothes are ok. The problem is more with getting tops over the width of the cast from wrist the bicep and anything that needs to be fastened at the back … if you know what I mean 🙄
At least I only put tops on once per day.

As for pain, it has always been relatively low unless I move it. I don’t know if I have a high pain threshold (when I had surgery in the past, I was given “really strong” painkillers which I never needed) or if I am lucky with the position of the break.
I have a beautiful x-ray showing the break but know some people find it a bit icky.

Back